No announcement yet.

LBJ Grasslands 2012 Hunting Seasons Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

during bowhunting season its not too bad...ive heard gun season can get a little busy especially on the weekends...I only bowhunt in the early seasons...the thing to remember is that the "weekend warriors" arent probably going to make it into the woods past the parking areas any further than about 300 yards. The best thing to do is to get a map at the grasslands office in Decatur (off of 287) and get out and scout. The best hunting spots take a little recon and sweat. I take my wife and kids out months before the season and scout. Also keep in mind since you are hunting so far back and no motorized vehicles are allowed back into the units, that you need to think ahead like getting your gear back in the woods and back out, plus if you are fortunate enough to take game, think about how you are gonna get it out. I live in Alvord so the grasslands are right out my backdoor and I am out at least once a week on some unit. If you have any questions, just pm me and Ill help with what I can

Comment

Camera going out there in the next few weeks.. I have my spot.. Want to start seeing what the bucks are doing out there..

Comment

im thinking about hunting there this year. is there any maps online?

Comment

Hawg Slayer, if you check through last years discussion you can find a link to the maps.

Comment

here ya go:

Comment

anybody seen any cheap trail cams for sale for a good price anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by PastorIke View Post
                anybody seen any cheap trail cams for sale for a good price anywhere?
                AT always has some.. I picked up a busnell trophy cam last year and have been really happy with it, and wont cry if my $100 camera gets stolen..

Comment

Originally posted by rcopester View Post
                  Hawg Slayer, if you check through last years discussion you can find a link to the maps.
                  Got em thank you sir

Comment

Does anyone know if new printed maps are available? The one I have is from pre-2010.

Comment

i dont think it has changed...not much if any...any body got any answers for him?

Comment

last year when I stoppped by the office it was the map from the link above. Not sure for this year but if nothing significant has changed then I don't forsee them printing new maps...

Comment

Thanks PastorIke and Deertracker.

Comment

sure thing bud

Comment

Braved the heat and spent 2 hours scouting.. One camera out in my honey whole, one camera in a new spot that looks great.. The new spot looks awesome and is full of tracks. It's amazing the number of trails that parallel horse and walking trails.. Just walk twenty yards in.. I'll be excited to see if the does are still moving in the same way they did last year. Ran into three snakes.. Luckily they were all water snakes.. Made me feel nervous wearing tennies in that high blew stem..

Can't wait to see what this year looks like..

Comment

Man I live in springtown and wanna hunt out there only seen the place twice rose it on horseback found really cool spot had lots of sigh and jumped deer there both times we rose threw it but public land just scares me if anyone heads out to scout and doesn't mind company I would love to go see it again

Comment

Working...
                                X