Custom Greenhouse, just needs heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Greenhouse, just needs heater

With bidenflation making food prices skyrocket i'm in the process of getting into food production at home. This is my latest addition; a custom greenhouse. The frame is from a 15 foot trampoline, 2x4s, and PVC conduit. The floor is the backside of a billboard ad tarp and the plastic i got from an online vendor. Its footprint is 6.5' x 37' by 8' tall where it meets the workshop.

I'm kind of stuck on temperature regulation though. In the next couple of days I will place between 5 and 7 55 gal drums full of water in there to act as a thermal battery, cooling during the day and heating at night. There will also be at least one fan for circulation/ventilation. I still need to figure out something for active heating for cloudy days or really cold nights though. I know a bunch of yall currently have or have had in the pasta greenhouse. Please make suggestions recommendations. I have a few ideas but I don't really like any of them.
    Attached Files

Oooh, Grow your own pasta in a pasta greenhouse
    Cool build though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
      Oooh, Grow your own pasta in a pasta greenhouse
      Cool build though.
      haha i didn't catch that spelling error in my proof reading. i'll let it ride though that's pretty funny

Comment

Any suggestions or lessons learned regarding a heat source would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Do you have gas or propane? You could bring the line through the wall of the shop into the greenhouse two gas heaters in there should keep any cold at bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
            Do you have gas or propane? You could bring the line through the wall of the shop into the greenhouse two gas heaters in there should keep any cold at bay.
            the shop only has electricity, but if the greenhouse experiment works out and i want to do something more permanent i can definitely have a gas (and water) added later. my preference would be something i could run on electricity for now and have a propane powered backup that can get me through a couple weeks if need be, in case there's another snow-pocalypse.

Comment

I made one a lot smaller it’s about 10x7 and about 7 ft tall. I use one of the electric radiator types and even during the freeze last year I kept everything alive in it including a couple of producing tomato plants

Comment

really cool build, keep us posted

Comment

Nice build.

I’m retired in Montana, a bit colder than you.

We’re getting a 9x18 greenhouse- it’s my wife’s Christmas present. The people who are building it, and people here who have similar greenhouses use a 110V milk house heater and it works fine.

….. from April/ May to November here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Nice build.

I’m retired in Montana, a bit colder than you.

We’re getting a 9x18 greenhouse- it’s my wife’s Christmas present. The people who are building it, and people here who have similar greenhouses use a 110V milk house heater and it works fine.

….. from April/ May to November here.

I run one of these in my Greenhouse last winter an only run it when it was cold/at night , My electric bill was over 130 $ higher 2 months that I run it . I would look for an Alternative heat source . 130 divided by 4 = 32.50 That buys alot of Vegetables a week .

Comment

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (31).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	24671068[/ATTACH] ......My Greenhouse I built , stays very warm when sun is Shinning ! But gets cold at Night / Cloudy days .
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKJAX View Post
                        I run one of these in my Greenhouse last winter an only run it when it was cold/at night , My electric bill was over 130 $ higher 2 months that I run it . I would look for an Alternative heat source . 130 divided by 4 = 32.50 That buys alot of Vegetables a week .

I read the average electricity cost in Texas is $.1225 per kwh. If it is running at 2/3 max power (1000 watts) for example it costs 12.25 cents pet hour to run it. It’s 20 cents per hour at max power.

Sure if you run it full power, 24/7 it will cost that much.

I’m not planning to run one 24 hours a day.

I don’t know what a propane heater would cost in comparison.

Comment

Working...
                        X