Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
    And humid. Wheel in a case of Gatorade on scouting day with your stand if you are sitting in one, or whatever you're hunting in or from. Or just pick a spot you're likely to find again, and waypoint it with your GPS. You'll be glad you did. There's nothing wrong with 85-degree Gatorade when you are hot, sweating buckets, and trying to avoid dehydration.
    I'll be on the bay on Thursday. To nice of a day to be tramping through the brush. I'll update as the hunt begins but I am not going to be as mad at them as I was in 2018. My buddy bailed yesterday and the goal was to get him a bull. The only way I was going to pull the trigger was if I saw a buck that was wall worthy. Now that he's gone, I am just going to buck hunt and not even consider nilgai. I have shot plenty already this year. But electrolytes and fluid will be a necessity so good call on that.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      I would really like to go, been wanting to go, ever since I saw the first pictures of the place. This year, is sounding disappointing. I am hoping to have my stuff together and maybe make it down there next year.
      Next year they may open up unit 7 and that will be the first year it's open. should be a great hunt if you get an early draw.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
        Next year they may open up unit 7 and that will be the first year it's open. should be a great hunt if you get an early draw.
        I will believe that when it happens. There are a lot of concerns about hunting unit 7. The detention center is there and there will bd all kinds of questions about hunters being near it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t think they’ll ever open unit 7. We’ve been saying it for years and years but never happens.

The ocelot groups have a lot of pull in that unit

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
            I don’t think they’ll ever open unit 7. We’ve been saying it for years and years but never happens.

The ocelot groups have a lot of pull in that unit
            The more nilgai gut piles, the more healthy ocelots there will be. Simple!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know that I have heard of unit 7. I'll have to go look at a map.

Comment

Maybe, we will see how it goes next year. I think I am going to put in for a lot of bow hunts next year. I have made it a point to not put in for bow hunts, except for a couple. There are quite a few hunts I have wanted to do, for over 20 years, been putting in for those hunts for over 20 years and never been drawn. Putting in for those places and also choosing each of those places for a bow hunt also, should improve my chances, in theory. Probably not in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                  Maybe, we will see how it goes next year. I think I am going to put in for a lot of bow hunts next year. I have made it a point to not put in for bow hunts, except for a couple. There are quite a few hunts I have wanted to do, for over 20 years, been putting in for those hunts for over 20 years and never been drawn. Putting in for those places and also choosing each of those places for a bow hunt also, should improve my chances, in theory. Probably not in reality.

Well if you have points in NWR Archery Deer. You can draw Laguna. But if you have a ton of points and try to draw Hagerman. Then keep applying for Hagerman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                    I don't know that I have heard of unit 7. I'll have to go look at a map.

It includes the pasture south of the airport that is full of Nilgai. It may also include a private farm down there that they are adding.

Comment

Well if you have points in NWR Archery Deer. You can draw Laguna. But if you have a ton of points and try to draw Hagerman. Then keep applying for Hagerman.

Never put in for Hagerman, I have seen people talking about it a lot, but don't know anything about it. I don't think I have even read any of the threads on that place or nor do I know where it is.
                      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-30-2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

It includes the pasture south of the airport that is full of Nilgai. It may also include a private farm down there that they are adding.

thanx,

driving back from LANWR to where I was staying I saw the NWR sign on the fence and wondered about that.

Comment

Actually, Unit 7 is that entire area where the one-way drive-through wildlife viewing tour can be done. It is all of the land from behind the airport to the water in one direction, and up to where the private land starts by the visitor center. I doubt they'll ever open it to hunting; much of it is underwater most of the time. More promising, though, is the huge area of the reserve south of the airport, stretching west from the water almost to Bayview. One of the rangers I spoke with said there is some talk of opening some of that area to at least bowhunting. It is larger than Unit 1.

Comment

Hadn't checked in for a while.... lots of new news and stories. So for those that have hunted this year, what are the rules for bringing out animals? Whole, quartered, skinned, not skinned...??? There was a lot of discussion prior to this years hunts about prior years, just wondering what challenges bringing out game adds this year.

Comment

You can skin it in the field and skip the tic process, if you are keeping any hair you gotta do the pesticide treatment and get the permit from TAHC, still have to report harvest

Comment

You can skin, quarter and bone out in the field for whitetail or nilgia? If I want to keep a head for a euro then the headquarters treats it and releases it?

Comment

Working...
                                X