Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA: “I’ve been scammed!”

Rant/PSA:

I am a part of several buy/sell/trade pages on Facebook. It is a recurring problem where someone will post “I just got scammed out of X amount of money because the seller never shipped the item.” And it always turns out that they sent payment via mailed cash/mailed check/cash-app/Venmo or PayPal friends and family.

ALWAYS USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES. Sure we should be able to trust that other people will do what they say they will, but there are scummy people in this world so there is no reason to not cover your butt. I almost don’t feel sorry for the people that get “scammed” because they didn’t use a little common sense.

PayPal does charge a fee to use the goods and services feature, so unless the seller asks for you to use goods and services, it is the considerate thing to send enough to cover the fee (3.49% + $0.49). So if the seller wants $100, send $104.12. PayPal pockets the $4.12 and the seller receives their $100. I’d rather lose $4 than $100 any day if I’m buying something. Thefeecalculator.com as well as other websites will tell you how much to send if you don’t want to do the math.

Remember, if a deal seems to good to be true, it probably is. And if a seller ever balks about using PayPal and suggests cashapp/Venmo, I don’t care how good the deal is, I’m no longer interested. My only exception to that is if it’s someone here on TBH who has a good reputation and good history, in which case I’ll use Venmo no problem.

Just something to think about. We have a great resource nowadays with TBH classifieds/Facebook marketplace, so make sure we’re using them smartly.

Yep ^^^

Saw one guy complaining yesterday on a tool page and another complaining on a bow page. Goods and services always on marketplace and have the buyer pay the fees (or most of the time I offer to split the fees).

Over here I am a little more relaxed using venmo, zelle or F&F knowing a TBHer's past exchanges but its 1000x's more difficult knowing someone's past exchanges on facebook.

Comment

TBH is the only place Ill take that risk.

Venmo has buyer protection now.

Comment

how does PP good & svcs keep the buyer from getting scammed?

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
          how does PP good & svcs keep the buyer from getting scammed?
          It doesn't necessarily prevent some jack wagon from taking the money and running, but does give you some recourse. Friends and family is basically a gift. Once it's gone, it's gone. Using goods and services there is a possibility you file a claim with paypal and get your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
            It doesn't necessarily prevent some jack wagon from taking the money and running, but does give you some recourse. Friends and family is basically a gift. Once it's gone, it's gone. Using goods and services there is a possibility you file a claim with paypal and get your money back.
            I don’t think F&F covers any type of sporting equipment
            I know when I buy a knife or sharpening equipment it’s definitely not covered!
            Thieves know every trick in the book , thieves & fools reside on Facebook it’s a perfect match

Comment

PayPal is horrible. I won’t use it again as a seller unless there is no other option. One time. I shipped a $1500 router to a guy in Lubbock. He received it and started using it. Then he charged back the charge and I lost $1500 and the router. Even with proof it was delivered and I could prove it was active.

Comment

Yea there was a Sitka swap page and people were being scammed left and right.

Comment

PSA: Don't buy stuff on Facebook unless in person.

Comment

Another note- dont use friends and family, paypal will be zero help. I paid for an item FF but miskeyed the email address. Simply didn't add a D on the end, name was the same in paypal app etc. Paypal's answer was email them and hope for the best they wouldn't help me. I said I was sending to a friend, just made a mistake and they did not care one bit. My fault but I now pay the 3% even to send to a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                      PayPal is horrible. I won’t use it again as a seller unless there is no other option. One time. I shipped a $1500 router to a guy in Lubbock. He received it and started using it. Then he charged back the charge and I lost $1500 and the router. Even with proof it was delivered and I could prove it was active.
                      What type of address did you ship to?

Comment

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          What type of address did you ship to?
                          Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'd consider going to the address and saying howdy in person.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                            Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'd consider going to the address and saying howdy in person.

It was a business but they claimed that person didn’t work there. It was work equipment and work money so it was a little less impactful but still really infuriating.

Comment

I think I’d have driven to Lubbock… still might.

eBay and them are In cahoots too. I had several items that were new box “returned” for not working properly. And I had to pay freight both ways and return their money. Non mechanical items too. I sold them as is no returns and eBay just said too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X