***Diesel Experts***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***Diesel Experts***

hey Yall have a questions for F250 6.7 Diesel owners.

i have a 2015 F250 FX4 with ~250K miles on it that has 'dropped its weight'. The transmission was getting hot (230 -238) a while back. So i had it flushed, new fluid, new coolant, and had the cooler cleaned. It was running fine for a good while.

yesterday coming back from Freer running 80-90 MPH empty it started hitting 230-235. Is this normal?

Its shifting fine. No leaks and no other issues.

Are you sure both the primary and secondary cooling systems are full?

Comment

What in the world does ‘dropped its weight’ mean?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        What in the world does ‘dropped its weight’ mean?
        I would assume it’s deleted and tuned

Comment

Originally posted by trykonroye View Post
          hey Yall have a questions for F250 6.7 Diesel owners.

i have a 2015 F250 FX4 with ~250K miles on it that has 'dropped its weight'. The transmission was getting hot (230 -238) a while back. So i had it flushed, new fluid, new coolant, and had the cooler cleaned. It was running fine for a good while.

yesterday coming back from Freer running 80-90 MPH empty it started hitting 230-235. Is this normal?

Its shifting fine. No leaks and no other issues.
          What did the folks who performed the service say?

Comment

It's not hard to entertain that it might be time for a rebuild with those miles, especially if the truck is tuned and putting down big torque numbers.

Comment

Those are normal towing temps but if you were empty I would talk to your tuner.

Comment

Take it back in. That's hot for empty, even as hot as it was, at that speed. Mine hovers around 200-210 at that temp and speed. I have a 2012 F250.

After the people who flushed it check it out, next step is talking to the tuner. Depending on what tune/tuner you run, you likely tuned the transmission. The transmission tune should have increased shifting pressures to handle the increased power. The increased pressures will feel like a hard shift, but it's normal. But it should not increase your transmission temp.

Do you have your transmission cooler covered? Does your truck still have the rubber flap in the lower front grill that directs air across the intercooler and transmission cooler?

Comment

My 2019 6.7 gets up to that temp sometimes when I'm towing heavy, but stays around 200-210 empty. I'd say something is up. Does it shift fine? What tunes are you running (Engine and Trans)?

Comment

On I10 headed to Destin cruise set on 85 in August heat I saw a max of 210-212, generally a few degrees lower. 2013 with 98k on the clock bone stock. something is up in my opinion

Comment

Advice, Never flush a transmission with over 75K miles unless you've been flushing it every 30K miles up to that point. At that mileage all you're doing is Flushing debris off internals and clogging up tiny ports and orifices in the transmission.

At that mileage, I'd ride her till she pukes and then rebuild it.

Comment

OP, did you have the transmission filter changed when you had it flushed? And did you have it "flushed" or just the fluid changed and no filter change?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          OP, did you have the transmission filter changed when you had it flushed? And did you have it "flushed" or just the fluid changed and no filter change?
                          Lots of great questions... Heres a little more detail.

I 100% agree with the not flushing it. But it was getting hot and I figured Id try it and see what happens. I figured it would crater shortly there after if it was going to.

I had them flush replace filter, replace all fluid. I have a full replacement ranch hand on the front. so no i do not have the rubber **** anymore.

Im not a 100% which tune they put it. Im 100% sure its not what I asked for as It has blown black like crazy since I got it back. The shop that did it has since been caught up in all kinds of illegal stuff. They supposedly robbing other customers trucks to put parts on theirs and all kinds of nonsense.

I had requested a mileage tune. However I only get 13mpg out of this truck.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryP_1989 View Post
                            I would assume it’s deleted and tuned
                            100%! Not to be weird but supposedly there have been a lot of stings happening lately around this.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                              It's not hard to entertain that it might be time for a rebuild with those miles, especially if the truck is tuned and putting down big torque numbers.
                              Yea I was thinking that too. Definitely before driving to Colorado for Elk season.

My buddy one time drove to Arkansas to get a billet tranny installed on his 7.3. Do they make one for the 6.7?

Ive checked the reserve tanks, they're good.

Ive read on a couple forums that Ford designed these to run with synthetic and higher temps should be expected. Even for longer periods. But that just seems hot to me.

Id hate to be in BFE NM on the way to stick a 6x6 at 11,000 ft and the tranny blow up on me.

Comment

Working...
                              X