Rim fire caliber on hogs….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve killed them with 22mag and 17HMR. What’s your preference on rim fire calibers for hogs of all sizes?

17 wsm

Comment

.17 to the brain bad medicine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In traps or under feeders?

Comment

.17 wsm

Comment

In the trap they get a 22LR to the head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with .17WSM.

Comment

But why?

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                  In traps or under feeders?
                  Under the feeder typically. Inside 40yrds

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                    But why?
                    Because I’m a bow hunter. I’ll be shooting suppressed to not blow out my hunts.
                    Still need to put pressure on the pigs and not waste expensive arrows/broad heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
                      Because I’m a bow hunter. I’ll be shooting suppressed to not blow out my hunts.
                      Still need to put pressure on the pigs and not waste expensive arrows/broad heads.

Waste arrows and broadheads? You’re a bowhunter? Hell take advantage of the archery opportunities. We don’t get enough as it is. If you’re too tight to use your “deer arrows” buy some similar sized single cheap arrows from Academy/Walmart or in bulk on EBay. Buy some broadheads that can be resharpened and reused on a pass through and give em hell. I’d almost rather shoot pigs these days than deer anyway with a bow. There’s no, “what’s his age, what’s he score or who am I gonna **** off shooting this deer?” It’s see a pig shoot a pig …and have fun.

I’m on pig #4 with the same broadhead and arrow currently. Same head went through a mgmt buck in November and I reworked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Waste arrows and broadheads? You’re a bowhunter? Hell take advantage of the archery opportunities. We don’t get enough as it is. If you’re too tight to use your “deer arrows” buy some similar sized single cheap arrows from Academy/Walmart or in bulk on EBay. Buy some broadheads that can be resharpened and reused on a pass through and give em hell. I’d almost rather shoot pigs these days than deer anyway with a bow. There’s no, “what’s his age, what’s he score or who am I gonna **** off shooting this deer?” It’s see a pig shoot a pig …and have fun.

I’m on pig #4 with the same broadhead and arrow currently. Same head went through a mgmt buck in November and I reworked it.
                        Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

I’ve considered that. But I’m over run with them. I’ve had the opportunity to shoot a pig every single sit so far. I’ve killed 6 and lost 3 arrows so far. Figured suppressed rimfire was MUCH cheaper.

Comment

I’m on pig #4 with the same broadhead and arrow currently. Same head went through a mgmt buck in November and I reworked it.[/QUOTE]

This ^

Go get some inexpensive Muzzy tracor, they work well for me, just shoot up the center of front leg. I mark the fletching with a sharpe every time I get a hit and they keep going. Maybe I should be sharpening but have not yet.
                            So far I've only one blade bent slightly on a close hit which hit backbone.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
                              I’ve considered that. But I’m over run with them. I’ve had the opportunity to shoot a pig every single sit so far. I’ve killed 6 and lost 3 arrows so far. Figured suppressed rimfire was MUCH cheaper.
                              Unless you already have the suppressor and stamps and said rimfire you are wanting to use. Going that route would be WAY more expensive. Now, if your looking for an excuse to purchase that setup then a “pig gun” could be fictitiously justified in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X