He didn't make it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    If that's the case, why don't they just say "he went maybe 35 yards"? Or whatever distance they think the deer actually went.

I think you have too much time on your hands.

I would say “he didn’t make it 40” means more than 30 and less than 40. Short of getting out a range finder or tape measure it’s just a general idea of how far he went in casual conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
      I think you have too much time on your hands.

I would say “he didn’t make it 40” means more than 30 and less than 40. Short of getting out a range finder or tape measure it’s just a general idea of how far he went in casual conversation.
      Yeah, I understand what it means. It's just a backward way of saying it, to me.

Kinda like my daughter, who is 26 years old with a master's degree in accounting now. Ever since she was a little girl, anytime she was talking about something where most people would say "2 or 3", or "4 or 5" or whatever.....like "I'll pick you up in 3 or 4 hours". She always says, "I'll pick you up in 4 or 3 hours." Same thing, and I always know exactly what she means. It's just backwards.
      Last edited by Shane; 10-05-2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I didnt make it 40% through this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's an easy fix just measured in mm!

Comment

Uncle Ted Nugent lays em out and says "Long Live the Beast" as he is holding them deader than a hammer. Then he says it didn't make it 40 yards. Good thoughts here Shane. Inline with the .5 on How old is he thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
              The last one I shot traveled 39.56 yards
              Measured from the front end or back end?

Comment

Its the same for me when folks say, "I could care less"...about something. It the the opposite of what they mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Its the same for me when folks say, "I could care less"...about something. It the the opposite of what they mean.
                  Yeah. Being good at grammar is a burden.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    Something I've not been able to understand....

If a guy shoots a deer that travels say 40 yards (or whatever distance) before dying, when the guys is telling the story to his buddies afterward why does he say, "And he didn't make it 40 yards."?

The deer went 40 yards. Why not say, "And he didn't go 41 yards"? Or, "He didn't go 873 yards"?

Or maybe....."He only went 40 yards and piled up right there." Wouldn't that make more sense?

The whole "He didn't go" thing is kinda like a deer always being X and a half years old, no matter what day you're looking at him and what day he was born. Somehow it just became an accepted saying in the hunting world, whether it makes any sense or not, I guess.

I'm probably the only one that thinks about such things. So carry on with all the "He didn't go" talk. It just strikes me as odd every time.
                    It is simply colloquial English to use (especially southern) shortcuts. They only delete the word “but”.

If he said, “And he didn’t make it but 40 yards”, it would be correct.

Problem solved.

Which is a lot shorter than saying, “ I have now solved your problem“.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                      It is simply colloquial English to use (especially southern) shortcuts. They only delete the word “but”.

Problem solved.

Exactly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

Problem solved.

Yes, I understand. Just like "could care less" and lots of other colloquial sayings that don't make sense.

Comment

How bout “All the sudden…”

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            How bout “All the sudden…”
                            For all intensive purposes, all these sayings are fine. Ever body knows what there saying. And don't get me wrong. I have the upmost respect for any hunter than can kill a deer that don't go 40 yards after the shot. I usually wish that my deer would of died quick like that. I prolly could of practiced more. I might should just sale my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                              I didnt make it 40% through this thread

I'm pretty sure when you posted this you were about 100% of the way through

Comment

this reminds me of my thread about aging that gets certain folk's panties in a wad

Comment

Working...
                                X