Commuter Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuter Cars

My dad is a sales rep, and drives 1500-2000 miles a week. He’s had 4 or 5 Toyota Camry’s now and has put over 400,000 miles on all of them. Think the one he has now is a 2019 and he gets around 38 mpg.
    Last edited by Raider4044; 09-22-2021, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Any smaller Toyota. Bulletproof

Comment

Has anyone owned a Chevy spark?

Comment

I drive around 100 miles a day, have a 12 Ford Fusion, average 30mpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
            For the record I expect to be made fun of for what I am about to say......... I was in the same boat as you about 6 years ago. I wouldnt rule out anything that gets less MPG's but is less desireable so you can get it for a cheaper price. My example is that I was looking for a good commuter car that still was considered relatively nice and had some nice features. Everything I was looking at was about 18 or 19k. As I was looking I realized that there were a ton of low mileage Lincoln Town Cars out there for less than 10k. I got mine for $8500 which was about $10k less than the other cars I was looking at. My lincoln gets well over 20 mpg on the highway but for ease of numbers lets say it just got 20 MPG. My whole point is that if you find the right situation it might make more sense to buy something that doesnt get as good of MPG's that is significantly cheaper. I can go a long way on $10k and at 20 MPG's.
            I did some math on this. Today gas being 2.75 per gallon, if OP did 4 trips a week, it would take a car getting 40 mpg 3 years 10 months and 4 days to pay for itself assuming g he spent 10k more. It comes out to 50 bucks a week extra, give or take.

The same numbers except traveling 3 days per week come out to $37.13 per week and 5 years, 2 months and 6 days.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
              I did some math on this. Today gas being 2.75 per gallon, if OP did 4 trips a week, it would take a car getting 40 mpg 3 years 10 months and 4 days to pay for itself assuming g he spent 10k more. It comes out to 50 bucks a week extra, give or take.

The same numbers except traveling 3 days per week come out to $37.13 per week and 5 years, 2 months and 6 days.
              Add in wear and tear on the truck and depreciation due to high miles. My car pays for itself pretty quick!

Paid $10,500. 38-40mpg. 190 miles a day 14 days a month minimum. Fuel savings alone nearly pay for the car and insurance. All the while my nice truck sits till my days off. Not racking up miles and not wearing out high dollar tires.

Comment

I drive 120 daily commute. Been doing it 9 years. On my 3rd ride. Bought a new Kia soul in 2019. It's been a great ride. I do catch some ribbing about it, but you gotta do what you gotta do! If its deer and hog country and you drive in darkness like I do, a used pickup might be a better choice and those dang truck tire blowouts will take away any potential money savings.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                  Look at the Kia & Hyundai line. 100,000 mile power train warranty, 60,000 on everything else. 135,000 on my Sorrento and the only thing I've done besides normal service is a generator.
                  My last six new cars was a Kia and then five Hyundais (they each own shares in the other company). My third Hyundai had an electric window controller go out which they replaced for free. That is going back to 1998. One was a Sonata that I drove for 12 years.

The only other problem I have have with them is deciding when to get another one.

Comment

I’ve got a 250 mile round trip work commute almost daily. Sure does make me thankful for a company provided rig after reading this.

Comment

I bought a Toyota Camry specifically for this reason after always having a truck as my primary vehicle. I have been very happy so far

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        My last six new cars was a Kia and then five Hyundais (they each own shares in the other company). My third Hyundai had an electric window controller go out which they replaced for free. That is going back to 1998. One was a Sonata that I drove for 12 years.

The only other problem I have have with them is deciding when to get another one.

They also share drivetrains. It’s a lot like GMC and Chevy.

I owned a 2002 Hyundai Accent that I bought brand new on September 9, 2001. I drove the wheels off of that car, raced it in auto cross events and on road course events. Traded it in with 60k miles on it and it had just developed it’s first rattle. It was a good car.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                          Has anyone owned a Chevy spark?

Chevy Sparks don’t have the best reputation for reliability. A lot of owners complain about high oil consumption.

Comment

Working...
                          X