Texas Longbow Championship 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Longbow Championship 2016

I saw the date and location of this shoot and I have read all the old posts. It looks like fun and I was thinking of bringing my daughter to this. I sent an email to David Sykes to get more info but I haven't heard back.

Our bows are a Black Widow one piece and a Martin Savannah. Are these bows legal to compete or do I need to buy, beg, borrow something else?

Does anyone know?

Thanks

The black widow is legal. The savannah should pass pretty easily as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'm sure someone has the spec sheet on how to measure it.

It is definitely one of my all time favorite courses and shoots to attend. You won't be disappointed!

Comment

I haven't shot it in at least 28 years. It was when you only had a 45 target course. I also think it was the 1st yr that they imposed the specs on the longbow.

Comment

The Savannah will not fit in the jig. I had a Savannah the first year I shot and had to borrow a buddy's bow. I really wish they would change the specs to just say 1 or 2 piece longbows with wood arrows to simplify it for everyone.
        Last edited by Featherflinger; 05-17-2016, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Well since it is a longbow championship, how about a modern longbow class with carbon arrows?

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

BW it won't happen. This shoot has had these same rules for over a decade and I don't see them changeing . It is a good shoot and get you some good woods and you will have a different opinion of carbons. I hated wood arrows till I got some well made wood arrows. All I shoot now. This shoot is a must for Arvin every year. See y'all in a couple weeks.

Comment

Thanks! Based on "No CENTER SHOT" bows, my Black Widow longbow is not legal either.

Comment

If it were just" one piece longbows only". it would open the door to more shooters. I think this will still keep it "longbow" and keep out aluminum riser and take down bows that the rules are aimed at. It just opens up the handle diminsion restriction a little to where more people can shoot a one piece longbow that they may own. Example above statement Featherflinger where a savanah longbow won't qualify , and that's just a basic bow .
                  I would like to shoot it but I don't have a bow that qualifies, Bodnik Quick stick and that won't qualify and it a simple bamboo limb bow. I don't want to buy a bow only for that shoot. It's not that I am bashing in any way, just see potential in more shooters out there.

Comment

I am not saying change anything with the diminsions, it will be the most popular catagory always. I'm just saying if someone chose to, have an modern longbow category. It is a great shoot, and will continue to be even if they have an ML category. I do have some good wooden arrows to shoot at it and look forward to shooting it. Just up in the air if I will be shooting selbow or longbow. Hope to see everyone there.

Comment

They don't enforce the center shot or pistol grip guidelines. They're only concern is if it fits the jig.

Comment

I just measured my bows. It looks like the Widow is in and the Savannah is out. I'll have to try and find a bow for my daughter to shoot.

Thanks!
                        Last edited by stone386; 05-17-2016, 06:31 PM.

Comment

stone 386, I see you are in Kyle. You should come out and shoot 3D with us sometime. We have a pretty good group that shoots a lot of the local, and most of the big shoots anywhere around here.

Bisch

Comment

Looks like a good shoot, and really cool that they have kept the bow dimensions so basic. There is so much crazy stuff out there as far as bow designs that it is kinda nice to see something stay as it has been. Good luck to all who attend. I am a recurve guy, and have no issues those are not allowed. By the way, based on dimensions I believe a Bear Montana will work??

Comment

Bisch,
                              Thanks for the invite. I usually make it to hill country and Chester. I hope to make it to this one this year. I may have found a bow to borrow.
                              I have 4 kids and we are in church on Sundays so I try to pick the best shoots.

Comment

Working...
                              X