Looking for ideas to rig out a hunting vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I’ll likely never be the one to own a UTV but scored a cheap Mazda 2600 truck. Single cab, 4WD. Going to mount my feeder on the front in some fashion with a button inside and a hoist on the back that can slide in the receiver hitch. Since it’s a single cab, it will be crowded with 2 people and bows inside. Looking for ideas for mounting a bow rack/holder on the hood or inside the bed. Also, is it worth the extra space to haul around a farm jack or just get a large bottle jack? Has a spare tire mount under the bed. Also probably going to build or buy some type of rear bumper because the existing one is rusted pretty bad. Share pics or ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farm Jack is a whole lot handier than a bottle jack if you can find the room.

Comment

You might consider mounting your feeder on the back instead of the front. We've had feeders on front and back of vehicles and I really prefer mounting them on the back. Especially on vehicles you might be driving "offroad". The dust can be terrible if you ride with the windows down or have a removable front windshield... Also, having the feeder on front is more likely to get damaged by turning into a tree or fence post or a rock in a low water crossing or a hill.... Don't ask me how I know you can damage them easy on the front of a hunting truck!! The Lamco pictured below is a good one because you can still open your tailgate if you mount it properly. They are really easy to fill also. Just my .02 cents! One other thing you may consider is building a "high rack" for the back up the truck. It doesn't have to be really high just a couple more seats for people to sit and good place to put a bow rack/holder under or on the side of the seats.
      Last edited by c3products20; 06-15-2021, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. Good points. Anymore? Really need ideas for the bow racks.

Comment

Originally posted by MarlinMears View Post
          Thanks guys. Good points. Anymore? Really need ideas for the bow racks.

Kolpin Rhino grips work great for me with my bow or rifle. You just have to figure out how to mount them to your rig.

Comment

Don’t forget to add some good quality leds front and back. I think that’s the best thing I’ve added to my ranch truck.

Comment

Thanks guys good info.

Comment

I would put a head ache rack on it as well as the back part of the rack as well. Makes it so easy to haul long stuff like pole saws, ladder stands and tripod legs. Bow rack could be built off the head ache rack or the sides of the long part of the rack.

Tool box would be good as well both for carrying tools and possibly foot rest for upper seat built onto the rack.

I'm also all about the feeder on the back. I have mine made to hang on the tail gate of my Mule. Bolt handles to the sides to make it easier to lift the whole thing off if you need the gate down.

Game hoist could slide into the receiver. [road feeder shouldn't be in the way] You should be able to guy the hoist pole back to the back part of the head ache rack for a really heavy duty hoist.

Build a light duty platform to slip into the receiver and guyed to the rack so you will have a stand for filling feeders.

As you can see, that rack is worth building.

Comment

Great idea. I have one on my big truck and will start building one for the Mazda tonight.

Comment

If you are building a new rear bumper, I saw a guy once that made a 3" tube bumper that also had an air fitting that he could pressurize as a air tank for filling low tires etc. He carried an ai rhose behind the seat that could reach all the tires. It was dang handy !

Comment

Mears remember me and bow hunting at JL Hoys. When did you start going by Marlin?

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                        Mears remember me and bow hunting at JL Hoys. When did you start going by Marlin?

Hey Gary! I go by Marlin on social media. It’s my first name but if someone calls me by Marlin they’re either from TBH or a bill collector! [emoji23]

Last edited by MarlinMears; 06-17-2021, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                          If you are building a new rear bumper, I saw a guy once that made a 3" tube bumper that also had an air fitting that he could pressurize as a air tank for filling low tires etc. He carried an ai rhose behind the seat that could reach all the tires. It was dang handy !

I’ll have to figure that one out. The rear bumper is next. May need to find a better welder than me! Built the headache rack today but don’t have bumper material laying around.

Comment

I've mentioned this on here before but I'll say it again. Get you a 10 or 20# CO2 bottle and the regulator for using it as compressed air.(about $40) A 20# bottle can air up a couple thousand tires, you can use it for your impact wrench, air jack if you have one, painting and blowing out the radiator of your tractor. My friend blows out the radiator of his JD 4440 tractor twice a day during haying season and it's a big radiator, and a 20# bottle lasts him almost the entire season. It costs $9 to refill. I have one in both my trucks and don't go any where with out one. I'd plan on putting one in your truck some where.

Comment

Working...
                            X