Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
    1k yard will be coming down not staying flat
    A bullet starts dropping as soon as it comes out of the barrel. So you are ok with someone shooting in the direction of your house?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
      1k yard will be coming down not staying flat
      Some, but not as much as some may think. About a 2 degree angle (~1 inch per yard) at 1k for most popular calibers.

...unless he is lobbing them in with grandad's 45 long colt, which may be the case.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
        Agreed, but I bet the range moves afterwards.
        Doubtful. He knows where burden of proof is. I know a guy that built his berm literally on the fence line and shoots straight towards it, I just shake my head, neighborly no but legal. I don't think in this situation a berm would matter, having a range right there is the annoyance. I know I wouldn't like it either

Comment

Put one facing the opposite direction.

Comment

Range looks a lot safer in the pictures than you make it sound. And appears to be 10-15ft of berm behind that target...

I don’t see much of an issue currently.

Not really much of anything you can do about it either as he’s done nothing illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

that top right picture there appears to be a substantial berm behind it, only speaking of behind it

Comment

Have The Warden come take a look..

Comment

Appreciate everyone’s feedback. I was standing in the low point when I took the pics so I was shooting back up towards the furthest target. This makes it look like there is a berm behind target. The sight line from bench to target is fairly level and there is not much of a back stop. My concern is at 1,000y the odds of someone hitting that target versus where all the misses end up. Once we hear back from the Warden I will let everyone know what he says.

Comment

Originally posted by BigOh! View Post
                    Have The Warden come take a look..
                    I called about dead deer in my ditch out of season, he said "what do you want me to do about it?" Said thought you might want to know......end of conversation

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      A very busy range on Hwy 183 faces East. About a half mile away is my uncles house. He has had chunks blown out of his limestone house. Has heard bullets whistling past him. He has had DPS and TPW come by and look and was told there are no regulations on gun ranges and that all they could do it advise the range to build a higher berm.
                      This was about 15 years ago so things may have changed but I don’t think anything at all can prevent this guy from keeping his range right where it is
                      A couple years ago land on the east was sold to a home builder. Papers filed in court stopped the long range shooting. Then the placed closed for good. Guess if you have enough money and lawyers anything is possible.

Comment

I would find the guy, talk to him politely. Point out he really needs a very large berm directly behind each target stand. That is quite a bit wider and a lot taller than his targets. I would think when you get out to 800 yards a 40 ft. or 50 ft. high berm would not be too tall. I know he is not going to like that part. But really the longer the shots, a few degrees of barrel angle, is going to result in quite a big more distance off target, high, low, left or right. The idea, that you are going to hit those steel plates every shot, is a fantasy. Even if you do hit the plates every shot, there are some that will deflect off in various directions. If the stand moves, and changes the angle of the plate, in relation to the shooter, so it's not as square with the shooter, the chances of a bullet deflecting off go up quickly.
                        I have done all types of shooting at all types of targets, I have seen bullets do a lot of things, that I would not have guessed before I fired the shot. Then been around when other people were shooting, and either did not give a crap, had no clue or were thinking it was cool to ricochet bullets off of rock walls, with a AK47. Twice I had, I am pretty sure the same A hole rain multiple mags of bullets down on me, with a full auto AK 47. The guy seemed to be having a blast shooting a AK 47 at a rock wall on the property next door. On two different occasions. The first time I had bullets raining down through the trees all around me. So I moved my tripod, two weeks later I am sure the same guy showed back up, next door with the same full auto AK 47 and rained multiple mags of bullets down all around me, at my new location.

I know the guy was shooting at a very high rock wall/cliff. I would assume he had no idea that probably ever round he fired ricocheted off of that wall over to where I was. I would think he would have to have been shooting at the wall, at an angle and not straight on, but I really don't know. I never saw him.

I have shot a rack of steel plates I made years ago, many times. One time I was shooting them. A buddy who lived over a mile away, directly in the direction I was shooting, called me all types of POed, wanting to know if I was the one doing the shooting. I asked him if I was sending bullets his way, he said no, but I don't believe he would be that POed, if I was not. His place was about 1 mile from in the direction I was shooting. So I am pretty sure that the noise from 22 LR pistol I was shooting, was not his concern. I would bet some bullets made it over to his place. But he kept saying that he did not have any problems with bullets.

That fence, could help stop rounds, that go too far to the right, but may also make the bullets defect at a much sharper angle also.

If the neighbor, does not want to change anything or do changes that will make much of a difference. You will not be safe on that side of your property, when he is shooting. I would make that very clear. So you won't be able to use that area of your property. If he does not like your ideas and want to make the necessary changes, I would then try talking to a game warden. The situation may be a little out of a game warden's area that they have much say so in. But they may be able to get a person to realize, how serious things may get, if something happens while he is shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                          A couple years ago land on the east was sold to a home builder. Papers filed in court stopped the long range shooting. Then the placed closed for good. Guess if you have enough money and lawyers anything is possible.
                          Yup, I know of two ranges, one I was on the board of directors, that were shut down due to encroaching homes. The ranges were there long before anyone started building anywhere near them but more tax money can be collected from a thousand homes than from one gun range.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                            Range looks a lot safer in the pictures than you make it sound. And appears to be 10-15ft of berm behind that target...

I don’t see much of an issue currently.

Not really much of anything you can do about it either as he’s done nothing illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Yep. Looks good. And how much brush is between that target and your cabin? How much distance?

Two sides to every story. Not saying you’re wrong. But so far it doesn’t look bad.

Comment

Is your fence line cleared on your side?

Build a bench on your side by his long target and put your long target by his bench, then he might think twice about your concerns. You never have to use your side.

Only other suggestion is see if he will put some indicators out when he is planning on shooting and see if you can use the range. Artos mentioned it above I think

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                                Different range. The one you are talking about is on highway 29.

Comment

Working...
                                X