Neighbor built a rifle range on the fence line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbor built a rifle range on the fence line

Curious what the green screen thoughts are. Our neighbor built a rifle range that runs along the fence line. it’s is roughly an 800-1,000 yard range. His furthest most target from his shooting location is 4 yards from the property line. Not really much of a berm behind the target. The shots coming into this target are really not at a downward angle either. High shots to this farthest most target could potentially impact our cabin due to the line of flight. The other targets also run adjacent to the property line and just as close making hunting some other locations of our property a little dicey as well. He shoots down hill to other targets but this farthest target does not have as much elevation drop from his shooting bench.

We reached out to the land owner, who basically told us to go pound sand and move our cabin. We purchased our place 13+ years ago, he purchased a couple years ago. Not that it matters. Just wanted to point out our place was built prior to he even owning the property adjacent to ours.

We reached out to TPW who advised us to reach out to the landowner first and see if we could work out a resolution. Now we are waiting to hear back from TPW about next steps and a possible visit to see his set up first hand.

Has anyone had any experience with such a thing before? I posted some pictures to lend perspective to what we are dealing with.
    Attached Files

If bullet crosses property line, he has a problem. Other than that, I would say consult an attorney, as here on TBH you are going to get a lot of opinions.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
      If bullet crosses property line, he has a problem. Other than that, I would say consult an attorney, as here on TBH you are going to get a lot of opinions.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
      this - bad situation for sure - amazing what "neighbors" will do - me? I would already have an attorney sending them letters - very dangerous situation

Comment

I'm gonna go with not anything you can do about it, hopefully he doesn't shoot alot........

Comment

Build you a backstop on your property made out of plywood and just wait and see for evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not illegal until something bad happens, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
              this - bad situation for sure - amazing what "neighbors" will do - me? I would already have an attorney sending them letters - very dangerous situation
              and I would throw that letter in the trash if I were him. A letter from an attorney is meaningless if action is legal and it appears so, friendly no but appears he isn't concerned with that

Comment

You’ve spoken to him, he doesn’t care. Since his farthest target is only 4yrds from the property line I would set up 4 sheets of plywood, 8x16, (yes I know, that’s expensive right now) a few on my side of the property. When one or more of his bullets cross the property line you will have evidence, then he and law dog may care. Until then, he’s just using every inch of his property.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                    You’ve spoken to him, he doesn’t care. Since his farthest target is only 4yrds from the property line I would set up 4 sheets of plywood, 8x16, (yes I know, that’s expensive right now) a few on my side of the property. When one or more of his bullets cross the property line you will have evidence, then he and law dog may care. Until then, he’s just using every inch of his property.
                    And even if it were damaged he will claim it was done by them because they don't like him shooting.......law may talk to him and he'll say "wasn't me".......bad situation to be stuck in no doubt

Comment

I'm putting in a gate and asking permission to use the range.... but I spend more a year on a membership to an ELR rifle range and shooting practice than I do on hunting.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                        And even if it were damaged he will claim it was done by them because they don't like him shooting.......law may talk to him and he'll say "wasn't me".......bad situation to be stuck in no doubt
                        Agreed, but I bet the range moves afterwards.

Comment

1k yard will be coming down not staying flat

Comment

We had similar deals & asked neighbors to put out flagging/survey tape on the fence at the bench and/or all target / sendero intercept areas where we could confirm when lead was flying...no problems.

Comment

A very busy range on Hwy 183 faces East. About a half mile away is my uncles house. He has had chunks blown out of his limestone house. Has heard bullets whistling past him. He has had DPS and TPW come by and look and was told there are no regulations on gun ranges and that all they could do it advise the range to build a higher berm.
                              This was about 15 years ago so things may have changed but I don’t think anything at all can prevent this guy from keeping his range right where it is

Comment

Working...
                              X