Tell me about your home energy back up system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about your home energy back up system

I’m searching for a solution for our new home in the country. It’s electric only. No propane tank (yet unless needed).
    Electric fireplace- the only thing I don’t like about the house.
    On a well/septic.
    I know the winter storm was a “once in 100 years”, but I’m not chancing it.

So what do you use? Propane/stationary generator? Solar with battery storage? Something else?

I’m just looking for an back up, not trying to go off grid or sell energy back (unless it makes sense).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you already have a decent-sized tractor, look into a pto-powered generator. No engine to maintain this way. Then just make it to where the bare necessities can be transferred to it.

Otherwise, propane-powered standby is the way to go but way more $$

Comment

Transfer switch and 10,000 watt gas generator. Just fill up ethanol free fuel cans before the storm (with TBH weather folks, usually know when to prep 12-24 before the rest of society). That gets us a week of power to do nearly everything in our house, including AC.

Comment

Home Depot sells the DuroMax gens that are duel fuel (propane and gas) and electric start with recoil backup. I havent seen them in store but theyve got them online. I just picked one up and its enroute to the local store.

To answer your specific question...portable gen and extra fuel.

Comment

Sorry for the big pictures.
          My wife's friend has this set up, pull the gen outside and plug it in.

Comment

We got the whole home 22K natural gas generator. Never dreamed it would save us during a winter storm................

Comment

22 K generac with 1000 propane.
              Auto switch

Comment

22kw propane whole house with auto transfer switch here....

Comment

So, no to solar?

Did y’all bury your propane tank?

Comment

For an all electric house, if you want much, it’s gonna cost you.

Look into a proper standby generator. Natural gas or propane, whichever works best for you.

If your house has a gas service, you can get by with a portable unit. I can power everything in my house during the winter. I need to test it in the summer.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I raise and close my windows as needed.

Comment

First decide what your needs will be. Do you want to run the whole house or only necessary things? Central A/C or window units? We decided at our place(all electric) that we would rather turn off breakers to Central A/C, electric stove,dryer and water heater and run window unit,lights,fans, freezer and fridge on a 6500 watt gas genny. Had interlock switch installed already and field tested earlier this year and works well .

Comment

I’ve got a small solar setup. Nothing fancy and nothing expensive. With an all electric house, it can run our fridge indefinitely, and a couple of lights and/or small fans. It was gonna cost $2k to run electricity to our shed so instead I put together a system that could be duplicated for about the same price. So in the mean time, in the shed this setup runs an 8k btu window unit, lights, fan, and keeps my tool batteries charged. It makes it a LOT nicer to work on projects.

Comment

How new are you talking?
                            If you have lived there a year or 2, you can check with your provider.. if you have a smart meter, they can tell you what your max peak demand was.. by the day. If a 16kw unit will handle your peak loads.. i would suggest a 16kw Generac autoxfer propane unit.. having the extra propane would give you an alternative fuel source, you can get a hose to fill cylinders for your grill, turkey/fish fryer.
                            If you oversize the generator, you are just burning more fuel.. thus costing more per hour to run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                              How new are you talking?
                              If you have lived there a year or 2, you can check with your provider.. if you have a smart meter, they can tell you what your max peak demand was.. by the day. If a 16kw unit will handle your peak loads.. i would suggest a 16kw Generac autoxfer propane unit.. having the extra propane would give you an alternative fuel source, you can get a hose to fill cylinders for your grill, turkey/fish fryer.
                              If you oversize the generator, you are just burning more fuel.. thus costing more per hour to run it.

House was built in 2018. I’d have to get a consultation to understand what I have as I’m not educated in that space.

Comment

Working...
                              X