Finished My DIY Flounder Gigging Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished My DIY Flounder Gigging Light

Finally finished the flounder gigging light I had referenced on my previous discussion about building a gig...haven't had a chance to try it yet, but so far, I'm happy with it.

I'll add this was a tedious build...lots of good options already out there worth looking at purchasing, but I couldn't find something to my specs and I'm a glutton for punishment...will likely be a bit easier when I get a welder that can handle a spool gun and if I used 1" pipe.

Full Writeup with Detailed Instructions
    Attached Files

i approve!, good job!

Comment

Appreciate it!

Comment

Bet that dude is bright, nice work.

Comment

Interesting concept. Flounder gigging is ADDICTIVE. What’s it weigh?

Comment

Cool build for sure. What does the actual "gig" look like?

Comment

Nice!! What did you put over the LED to seal from water?

Comment

@88 Bound - it weights just under 2lbs without the battery...i use a 12V, 18Ah battery in a backpack that weights about 12.5lbs

@texas16...here is my gig build...its only a single point as I'm wading the surf

@gonazaleziam its a waterproof, two-part epoxy that stands up to the heat...you can find it at Home Depot

Comment

Looks good
                  Might see about getting some aluminum heat sink for the main body. I have some Jerry's LED gigging lights and that's what they are with and they get pretty warm out of the water. I have built some flounder gigging boats and used them on the boats.

Where did you get the led chips from? I would like to get some green chip lights.

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

I think I have the chips listed in the materials...had to ship from China but you get 10...will eventually need them as they don’t have a driver

Comment

You could cut your battery weight in half with Lithium Lifepo4 battery. Yes they are more expensive but they are smaller, lighter and will handle being run all the way down and charged much better. If you run that sealed lead acid battery all the way down or most of the way down, it will not last near as long if you didn't run it down past 40% charge. Because you shouldn't run a sealed lead acid battery below 40%, you can get the same run times from a 12.8V 12AH Lithium LifePo4 battery as you do a 12V 18AH sealed lead acid battery. I have 12.8V 12AH Lithium LifePo4 batteries and they are about 1/3 the size of a 12V 18AH sealed lead acid battery and weigh less than 3 pounds. Heck you could go with two of them and you still would be about half the weight with a lot longer run times.

Comment

I forgot to say that your build looks great. As you suggested though, I highly recommend you get a LED driver for those lights especially if you get a LifePo4 battery for them. I would not run them out of the water more than a couple of minutes.

Comment

Please post a pic when you use it, would like to see how bright it is underwater.

Comment

Sure! I’m pulling together some videos of demoing it

Comment

Working...
                              X