Back Ground Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Ground Check

When a person goes to a dealer to buy a pistol and the buyer fills out the paperwork and dealer calls it in, who are they calling? Is it state or federal check?

It's federal. Runs through FBI I believe

Comment

That be the Feds.

Comment

FBI NICS check

National Instant Criminal Background Check System

Comment

It is Federal.
          It’s called NICS.
          Under current laws, The FFL dealer gets back a
          Proceed
          Denied
          or
          Hold.
          After 3 days without a response the firearm can be legally transferred.
          The Feds are supposed to hold the info for 10 ?? days.
          Dealer keeps the 4473 form forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, you passed the background check and the gun is registered correct? Federally or state registered?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
              Ok, you passed the background check and the gun is registered correct? Federally or state registered?
              Supposedly not. The paperwork is kept at the local FFL, and the data is not entered into a database. Not sure I actually buy the latter. No way is the government not going to store that info

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                Supposedly not. The paperwork is kept at the local FFL, and the data is not entered into a database. Not sure I actually buy the latter. No way is the government not going to store that info
                I was told the yellow sheets never go anywhere. Never have. If a gun is used in a crime 5 years later they can't back track to where or when that sheet was filled out.

There is no data base.

FFL guy told me this.

Comment

The same gun can have multiple yellow sheets at multiple ffls. There is no registry.......yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought it was interesting that if you but more than one at a time it’s reported. I wonder who’s keeping track of that and why?

Comment

There’s nothing registered, when doing the nics check there is no gun info entered or passed along on the phone all they ask is pistol or rifle the serial numbers are logged on the paperwork and kept in file as required by law nothing is registered or anything. Contrary to belief a gun is “registered” is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                        I was told the yellow sheets never go anywhere. Never have. If a gun is used in a crime 5 years later they can't back track to where or when that sheet was filled out.

There is no data base.

FFL guy told me this.

He either lied or was ignorant at least on the first part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Lsube0555 View Post
                          There’s nothing registered, when doing the nics check there is no gun info entered or passed along on the phone all they ask is pistol or rifle the serial numbers are logged on the paperwork and kept in file as required by law nothing is registered or anything. Contrary to belief a gun is “registered” is incorrect.

In free states this is true. Some commie states do have registration at the state level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post

There is no data base.

FFL guy told me this.
                            My understanding is that if an ffl goes out of business or sells the business the forms are turned over. Anyone verify this?

Fine... there is no gun registry. But you are naive if you think the fbi is getting your name, address and dob & DL and not storing in a database who and how many NICS checks that person has. I can’t believe there isn’t a log of “potential” gun owners with some flagged as high volume.

Comment

Y’all are way off on this. When you complete that form and it gets sent in for a check the ATF keeps track of the ORIGINAL purchaser information. It’s called the ETRACE SYSTEM and police departments use it every day. Most of the time it’s inaccurate because people swap with each other all the time or do private transactions, thus the “gun show loophole” we hear about. My agency does etrace and NIBIN on every gun that we take in.

Comment

Working...
                              X