No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have been keeping bees about 5 or 6 years, we raise and sell bees, raise queens, rescue swarms, do a few bee removals from homes and trap bees with swarm traps In my opinion the most important thing a new bee keeper can do is join a local bee club and get an experienced mentor

Comment

I’m beginning my 9th year. 30 hives now and I do removals for 2 of our local water systems so I’ll probably be up to 45-50 by this time next year. I sell a lot of honey as well as nucs and full sized hives. Fun hobby that has become profitable

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
        I’m beginning my 9th year. 30 hives now and I do removals for 2 of our local water systems so I’ll probably be up to 45-50 by this time next year. I sell a lot of honey as well as nucs and full sized hives. Fun hobby that has become profitable
        Thats awesome ! That’s where I want to be in 3 or 4 years. I plan on splitting my three hives. I might even get two spots out of the strongest one and I’ll be putting out 10 to 15 swarm traps on our deer lease. Lots of bee keepers in the area so there’s a pretty good chance any swarm I catch might be feral bees.

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
        We have been keeping bees about 5 or 6 years, we raise and sell bees, raise queens, rescue swarms, do a few bee removals from homes and trap bees with swarm traps In my opinion the most important thing a new bee keeper can do is join a local bee club and get an experienced mentor
        I’ll be honest I’ve had a few experienced bee keepers advise me but to find a true “mentor” is pretty hard to do unless you’re a pretty lady then every bee keeper in a 100 mile radius will want to mentor you lol! I joined one club but was not satisfied with the info I was getting so I joined another in the next county that’s pretty large and actually has a mentor program. That and read read read and YouTube. I really like the “Walls Bee Man” he’s super easy to follow and just a smart bee keeper. One thing I found out is there are a 100 different ways to raise bees and several methods/mind sets you can be successful with. There is also a ton of miss information that you have to weed through. This makes it a little tuff on a new guy.
        Last edited by sharkhunter; 02-01-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

one thing I have learned in Bee keeping, ask 10 Bee keepers the same question and get 10 different right answers. You will have to decide how you want to manage your bees and how much time you want to spend managing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
            one thing I have learned in Bee keeping, ask 10 Bee keepers the same question and get 10 different right answers. You will have to decide how you want to manage your bees and how much time you want to spend managing them.
            Location can affect things a lot

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
              I’d like to buy you a drink sometime and pick your brain about keeping in a neighborhood. We’ve moved to an area where I think we can manage bees in the backyard. I figure the easiest way to start is to get local advice.
              Sent you a PM, glad to help.

Comment

Anybody around Brazos, Robertson county need a place to set up hives? I will offer my place. Just give me a jar of honey and we're good!!!

Comment

Been a hobby beekeeper for 20+ years. Down to 2 hives now in my yard. In my area your hives have to be 600 ft. from a dwelling. Look up the ag rules for your area. They may may be different.

Comment

How do you guys catch swarms?

I built a couple swarm traps..But no idea if I did them correctly. And I need to know how and where and when to set them out..

Bait?

Comment

Comment

This guy is the real deal and I’ve become even more fascinated and intrigued by the bee industry since watching his videos.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

I built a couple swarm traps..But no idea if I did them correctly. And I need to know how and where and when to set them out..

Bait?
                          People usually call us. We catch the swarm or remove the hive. No experience with swarm traps.

Comment

I know I have bees on my property. Found a couple wild hives. I'd like to catch a swarm. Advice?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Bait?
                              I put one or two around my hives, any others I put out where I've known swarms have been to in the past. I can't tell you just what it is that attracts swarms but in my experience where one has been others will come to that area too. They've been showing up around my place for twenty years, I've caught 3 swarms at my sons construction yard the last 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                                I’d like to buy you a drink sometime and pick your brain about keeping in a neighborhood. We’ve moved to an area where I think we can manage bees in the backyard. I figure the easiest way to start is to get local advice.
                                Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                                Sent you a PM, glad to help.
                                I'd like to get in on that. I'll split hog_down's drinks with you MetalMan2004.

Comment

Working...
                                X