TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
    I lost 3 hives after Harvey, C-130s spraying for mosquitos. Cleaned boxes and next summer I had a wild swarm move into my box. It’s the strongest/healthiest hive I’ve had, but they did not like me opening the box this fall. I had to evacuate, never had a full-on assault like that before, and honestly not excited to try and re-queen, but that’s what’s probably needed. I don’t suspect they are Africanized as I can mow next to the hive etc, but twice I opened the lid and they went ape schlitz crazy on me.
    I've had hives in the past that would be hard to deal with one day and completely docile the next.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
      The one thing I wish I had done different was get an untra breeze vented jacket from the start. They are expensive but with our Texas summers a cotton jacket just about kills me in the heat.
      I got the full ultra breeze suit when we started with bees last year. Feels very heavy when you are putting it because it is. When it’s hot out I typically wear just boots, shorts and a tshirt. It’s worth every penny. I’ve worn a standard cotton bee suit in hot weather before and it does roast you. This suit is do much cooler and if there is a breeze it is very comfortable. When you look at it, it sure looks like you should get stung wearing it, but not once yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
        So sooner or later your gonna hafta open it to harvest the honey! Doesn’t smoke work to calm them down?

Yeah it calms them down but sometimes they are just pissy.

Over time you can change the attitude of a hive with the right queen. There is such a quick turnover (life cycle) of bees in a hive that a good natured queen can completely transform a hive in a few months.

One of the hives on our place went from “greeting” you when you were 50 yards from the hive and following you for quarter mile when you left, to being very easy to deal over a few months. That was all based on re-queening the hive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
          Agreed, and the beetle traps that you fill with oil/diatomaceous earth help too. Hate those little *******s. I kill everyone I see when I am in my hives. I have 2 in my back yard in Houston area. MASTERS has a bunch, and he knows what he's talking about. He posted some beautiful pics of his hives/comb/honey. My neighbor down my street saw my hives and I talked him into getting one, and he put it in his treehouse.

I agree with what was mentioned above, as far as people getting into the hobby for the agriculture exemption. Also, a lot more media has brought up the fact that bees are VERY important to pollination and voted by many intelligent people as "the most important species on earth."
          I’d like to buy you a drink sometime and pick your brain about keeping in a neighborhood. We’ve moved to an area where I think we can manage bees in the backyard. I figure the easiest way to start is to get local advice.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
            Ferg I am over here in Fruitvale. At some point in time I plan on getting some bees. Any chance you could help a brother out and give my some advice on what to do when that time comes? On this I am as green as grass.

Thanks.

-john
            Hey John, the beekeeper that tends to my 9 hives at my property is the President of the North East Texas Bee Association and lives in Canton. PM me if you would like me to get you in touch with him. He would probably be more than willing to help you out.
            I’m pretty sure they have meetings on a fairly regular basis as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
              We have so many dam bee's it's stupid. In the Robert Lee area so if any of the "bee folks" are in the San Angelo/Robert Lee area let me know and maybe we can work something out. A new hive invaded our deer lease RV this past year and it was a chore to get them out. I'm allergic, seriously so it's a BIG deal for me. I know we need them but I'm fed up with the little f^%#$#$'s!

Send me a pm if you are in our area and we can talk. We still have bee's around but I want them ALL gone so I can relax and not be in fear of getting stung!! Oh, can't go anywhere on our acres without taking my Epi Pen with me!!
              Pm sent with contact.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                I've had hives in the past that would be hard to deal with one day and completely docile the next.

That’s what I was hoping for the second time I opened them, lol. I let them bee and will try it again in the spring pollen run. I have two supers on it and expect I’ll have some tasty dark honey this spring.

Comment

To be clear, I’ve kept a few hives for about ten years now. Still don’t know everything, but I’ve learned sometimes they just aren’t in the mood. I’m not really that interested in harvesting much, but want to make sure the hive is healthy inside. Id like to try to split the hive this spring, have two empty boxes.

Comment

I have 6 hives here at the house for 5 acres of AG. I just so happened to grow up with a friend whose dad is a large bee keeper in Texas and he is one now as well. A couple summers in college I worked for them and learned quite a bit. I’d way rather have bees than cows!

Comment

So I guess the queen determines the disposition of the hive just like a wife does the house. Happy wife happy life!

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post

This. One day I have taken the lid off the hives, no suit, no problem. Then sometimes I cant even sit close the hive and they are hitting me. No clue what the difference is.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                          What are the requirements for the Ag exemption? Is there any minimum number of hives per acre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I know in Cooke county you must have 6 acres minimum. I have 13 acres and have to have 9 hives to try and get my AG exempt.

Check your county AG page

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                            So I guess the queen determines the disposition of the hive just like a wife does the house. Happy wife happy life!
                            In a sense, yes. I know one beekeeper in particular who will take a pizzy wild caught hive and requeen it with a docile one, and within a few months all the pizzy ones will die off and more docile workers have taken their place. It's a fascinating hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                              That’s what I was hoping for the second time I opened them, lol. I let them bee and will try it again in the spring pollen run. I have two supers on it and expect I’ll have some tasty dark honey this spring.
                              The golden rod that blooms in the late summer fall will sometimes give honey a bad taste if you leave it all fall and collect in spring. Doesnt always happen. I normally harvest first week in july then remove the honey supers and treat the hives for mites. That being said there are at least 6000 different ways to manage bees.

Comment

TBH Bee Keepers

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                                What are the requirements for the Ag exemption? Is there any minimum number of hives per acre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                As stated the regs vary by county. Kaufman county requires a minimum of 5 acres and a maximum of 20 to qualify for ag exemption. You also have to show proof of at least 5 years of prior ag exemption if I’m not mistaken.
                                I have 10 acres and 9 hives.

Comment

Working...
                                X