No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built my first hive and a friend put a queen and bees in it last year. Should be harvesting our first honey in a few months.

Comment

Aspiring beek here.
      I've been reading a ton and following several FB groups just taking it all in.
      I have a buddy who is switching over to ten frame hives and is getting rid of all his 8 frame stuff, so I'm going to take those off his hands to get started. Should have enough to do up to 12 hives. I'm starting with 3
      Hoping to start up this spring, but it'll likely be next year with this Lyme's BS. Starting a new drug on monday and will be on it for 6 months. I'm starting nothing new till that's done

Comment

Never had any idea that bee keeping could be so labor intensive. But I would love to be in a place where I could get involved in it. One question comes to mind right off. How do bee colony’s survive in the wild against ants, wax moths, beetles, predators etc when they don’t have a keeper actively trying to protect them from the above mentioned predators or weather conditions?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
          Never had any idea that bee keeping could be so labor intensive. But I would love to be in a place where I could get involved in it. One question comes to mind right off. How do bee colony’s survive in the wild against ants, wax moths, beetles, predators etc when they don’t have a keeper actively trying to protect them from the above mentioned predators or weather conditions?
          Most of them probably don't

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
            Not to high jack your thread but I have been hearing of more people getting into this as a hobby and enjoying it. I wonder if the ag exemption eligibility has played a part in it? If nothing else it could be a good side benefit.

What are the requirements for the Ag exemption? Is there any minimum number of hives per acre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
              What are the requirements for the Ag exemption? Is there any minimum number of hives per acre?

It’s county by county. In Brazos it’s 5 acres minimum and then there is minimum number of hives per acre. Check with your appraisal district.

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                It’s county by county. In Brazos it’s 5 acres minimum and then there is minimum number of hives per acre. Check with your appraisal district.

For example:

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                  I put out swarm traps to catch feral bees that have been doing just that, I'll still lose bees to some of those things, it just don't hurt as bad as losing that many after paying close to $200 to get them here so I can watch them die or take off for parts unknown!

3 hives so far.

Comment

Wow that’s crazy and expensive!

Comment

My uncle has two hives in Fairfield. I don’t know what kind of flowers the bees get into up there but that is the most intensely sweet honey I have ever had

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                        For example:

Thanks for the info!

Comment

I lost 3 hives after Harvey, C-130s spraying for mosquitos. Cleaned boxes and next summer I had a wild swarm move into my box. It’s the strongest/healthiest hive I’ve had, but they did not like me opening the box this fall. I had to evacuate, never had a full-on assault like that before, and honestly not excited to try and re-queen, but that’s what’s probably needed. I don’t suspect they are Africanized as I can mow next to the hive etc, but twice I opened the lid and they went ape schlitz crazy on me.

Comment

So sooner or later your gonna hafta open it to harvest the honey! Doesn’t smoke work to calm them down?

Comment

I have 5 hives

Comment

We have so many dam bee's it's stupid. In the Robert Lee area so if any of the "bee folks" are in the San Angelo/Robert Lee area let me know and maybe we can work something out. A new hive invaded our deer lease RV this past year and it was a chore to get them out. I'm allergic, seriously so it's a BIG deal for me. I know we need them but I'm fed up with the little f^%#$#$'s!

Send me a pm if you are in our area and we can talk. We still have bee's around but I want them ALL gone so I can relax and not be in fear of getting stung!! Oh, can't go anywhere on our acres without taking my Epi Pen with me!!

Comment

Working...
                                X