TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    We were removing a hive down in the quarters, a brother walked by and said we were some bad motherf...., well you get the point. Bees were flying everywhere, it was our first recovery. I still have that hive today.
    I sure enjoy watching JP the bee man and the characters that frequent his videos for commentary

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
      I sure enjoy watching JP the bee man and the characters that frequent his videos for commentary
      I will have to check him out.

Comment

When should I start buying my nucs?

Comment

Originally posted by dxtbowhunter View Post
          Get in touch with your chosen vendor for availability and timing. Lot of variables but don't put it off much longer or you'll be left picking up scraps here and there.

Comment

Likely your supplier will have already taken deposits for 2020 nucs. The earlier you can get them the better. If I were to be buying them myself Id want them the end of March to the first of April. In a good year a nucs received in that time frame will likely produce a harvestable amount of honey. Later in the year say May to June you'll have to feed them and they will be slow to build up....

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Comment

I have noticed a lot of bees returning to the hive without pollen. What is up with that? Are they full of nectar? Are they scout bees?

Comment

TBH Bee Keepers

Some are out gathering water instead of pollen. My kayak has standing water in it and thought I had a swarm going already, girls are getting Thirsty.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                    Some are out gathering water instead of pollen. My kayak has standing water in it and thought I had a swarm going already, girls are getting Thirsty.
                    I have a water feeder for them. They drink approx. a qt a day. It could be water but I doubt it. About 2/3s of the bees show up without pollen and go straight into the hive. The ones that show up with pollen are carrying a bunch.

Comment

Beetle blasters work great for me. Ben doing it for yrs. I don't mess with traps I just do Bee removals then re Queen them. That way I get paid with no out put.

Comment

my supplier took deposits back in Dec. for Spring 2020 pick-up, is typical. They'll be slim to none now.

Comment

I got my order in now.

Comment

We checked our hives again today, a little too late. We lost one of them. All of the honey is gone in the lost one and most is gone in the good hive. Hopefully, most of the bees from the lost one went to the good one for feed, not sure if it works that way though ??
                            Anyway, we had to start feeding immediately so maybe they will be OK till the blooms come out fully. We were planning to split both hives later but now we'll have to re-strengthen this one first, maybe split next month.
                            Has anyone ever had success in splitting a hive multiple times in one year and they all become strong enough for the winter?
                            Evidently we've had so many warm days lately that they just were very active and consumed all their honey quickly. I noticed a lot of it crystallized at the hive entries as well, that should've been a sign for me but I didn't know what it was at first. Live and learn.

Comment

February is hard on bees, they will starve, please keep a close eye on them during February if weather permits

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
                                February is hard on bees, they will starve, please keep a close eye on them during February if weather permits
                                Yessir, you are right, however that will vary from region/area. We have been having pollen coming in all year long and I wasn't expecting that. Im in the Orange area. Southeast of here in SW La, clover, Dandelions, Wild Onions, Yellow Trumpet have been blooming since Dec, so it is a regional thing. Even at that like you say, we should feed our bees. I started in Oct and haven't stopped.

Comment

Working...
                                X