TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TBH Bee Keepers

How many bee keepers do we have on TBH ? Any of you going to put out swarm traps at your leases ? Post up pictures if you have them of your hives or swarm traps. I started 3 hives last spring and they’re doing well (fingers crossed).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-30-2020, 08:11 PM.

Gettingtwo nucs this spring.

Comment

We have gone through two hives the past two years. Not sure if we are going to try again this yearZ

Comment

More work/cost than you know going in....

Comment

Struggling beekeepers. Wax moths, ants, beetles and who knows what else have sabotaged our hives. Taking classes now for another go at it this spring. Second class this Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

we have about 25 hives, putting traps out in March. My wife and I have so much fun with this hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntvideo View Post
              Struggling beekeepers. Wax moths, ants, beetles and who knows what else have sabotaged our hives. Taking classes now for another go at it this spring. Second class this Saturday

One thing that has really helped me with the ants and beetles and it was really luck because I really had no idea what I was doing is putting down something that seals the ground under the hives. That really helps with the pest. Also keeping the entrance small. The two big killers of hives though are the mites and running out of food during and just after winter.

Originally posted by 4_Fingers View Post
              More work/cost than you know going in....
              You got that right! I’ve saved my receipts and I think I have about $1800 in it so far with a wish list a mile long. The one thing I wish I had done different was get an untra breeze vented jacket from the start. They are expensive but with our Texas summers a cotton jacket just about kills me in the heat.
              Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-31-2020, 06:11 AM.

Comment

If any of you bee keepers sell honey, especially honey comb. Feel free to send me a message I would like to give you some $ in exchange for your hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
                  we have about 25 hives, putting traps out in March. My wife and I have so much fun with this hobby.
                  Ferg I am over here in Fruitvale. At some point in time I plan on getting some bees. Any chance you could help a brother out and give my some advice on what to do when that time comes? On this I am as green as grass.

Thanks.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
                    Wow it’s obvious you have learned the process well. How long have y’all been into this hobby?

Comment

Not to high jack your thread but I have been hearing of more people getting into this as a hobby and enjoying it. I wonder if the ag exemption eligibility has played a part in it? If nothing else it could be a good side benefit.
                      Last edited by tps7742; 01-31-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

We have some hives but they are owned by some friends

We just get a few pounds of honey for "rent"

Comment

If anyone is looking for property to establish some in Grayson Co. we are interested having some set up on our property. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntvideo View Post

My son and I started keeping bees. Its my first year his 2nd. I can tell you some of what we learned. I have 3 hives, 2 are fine, one absconded.

Ants-I mixed veg oil and cinnamon, poured it on the ground around the hive, no more ants.
                            Beetles- keep the hive in full sun. Keeps beetles numbers low, bees will kill or push beetles out. There are also medication/fogs that some keepers use.
                            Wax Moths-Medicating/Fog
                            Feed the bees during the Fall-Winter sugar water, if there are not any late blooming flowers. I am presently setting up my yard with late Summer, Fall, Winter blooming flowers for bees.

Im green as a gourd in beekeeping, but we have recovered about 10-12 in late Summer. Kept lots of honey. Saved millions of bees. It has been worth it. Keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              Beetles- keep the hive in full sun. Keeps beetles numbers low, bees will kill or push beetles out.
                              Agreed, and the beetle traps that you fill with oil/diatomaceous earth help too. Hate those little *******s. I kill everyone I see when I am in my hives. I have 2 in my back yard in Houston area. MASTERS has a bunch, and he knows what he's talking about. He posted some beautiful pics of his hives/comb/honey. My neighbor down my street saw my hives and I talked him into getting one, and he put it in his treehouse.

I agree with what was mentioned above, as far as people getting into the hobby for the agriculture exemption. Also, a lot more media has brought up the fact that bees are VERY important to pollination and voted by many intelligent people as "the most important species on earth."

Comment

Working...
                              X