Tell me about your home energy back up system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
    I have two generators that total up to about 20kw. Presently just one transfer switch that will handle four circuits. Next step is to get a transfer switch that allows me to switch the entire panel over to generator or line voltage. That way I can pick and choose which circuits to leave on. I don't necessarily want or need to use both generators for short term power outages. The mess this past February didn't cause enough of a problem to even use one generator. Our home is all electric and has a wood stove for supplemental heat. Our biggest mistake when building was to install heat pumps. They are pretty useless below thirty-five degrees.

We never kicked on the aux heat strips on our heat pumps. It was -3 for a while here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
      22 K generac with 1000 propane.
      Auto switch
      I have the same generator. Wish I had done a much larger propane tank. We only did 250 gallons which won’t last long.

Originally posted by RMW View Post
      Got this 40kw Cummins generator just waiting on the transfer switch to get here, then I’ll get it all setup
      Sweet! I’m considering selling my 22.5k Generac and replace it with one of the Cummins/Onan units.

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
      So, no to solar?

Did y’all bury your propane tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely no to solar for backup unless you plan to install a huge battery bank along with it.

Our tank is buried.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
        What does it cost to get a. Transfer switch installed. Anyone know someone here in the DFW area that could install one

Bought a 10k dual fuel gen. Would like to get it all installed before the summer heat outages
        Ours system was a bundle...all installed...22kw, 250 l.p. tanks(so we can pick who fills it) transfer switch...all installed and running...8k....we can run full house is summer....but need to use space heaters in cold....like when it snowed...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Definitely no to solar for backup unless you plan to install a huge battery bank along with it.

I have an off grid shed/work shop powered by solar and I agree with this.

Unless you have a large battery backup then if the power goes out then your power goes out too. That’s why a lot of people that have solar panels on their roof were so mad in February.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            I have the same generator. Wish I had done a much larger propane tank. We only did 250 gallons which won’t last long

When we added the backup generator I upped our propane from 250 to 500, after getting low during the freeze I upped it to 1000 gal of propane and I keep it 3/4 full

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
              Looking to put together what Bassdeer's friend did.

About all I can afford right now. System that can backfeed the house in an emergency.

Long term I'm looking into a solar system with battery backup.
              Forgot to add he has $1500 in the whole deal

Comment

Honda eu7000 with soft start capacitor.

Comment

Got this 40kw Cummins generator just waiting on the transfer switch to get here, then I’ll get it all setup

Good looking 40kw.

I’ve been looking at a little 20kw with transfer switch and w employees cost makes things little easier to look at too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Now that’s a big boy generator.

Comment

Just installed a 30 amp inlet box and interlock switch to run select circuits on my 5500 watt Champion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA6CC207-179D-4C68-8E2B-01FE33F83B59.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	24653921

Comment

12,500 watt dual fuel Westinghouse generator. Interlock kit on the 200 amp panel, 50 amp inlet box, 50 amp generator cord. We are installing an extra riser and regulator off our 500 gallon propane tank for the dual fuel generator. I have a smaller 4000/3500 watt generator for a back up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just purchased a Duromax 5500 yesterday and will be installing the interlock soon. All circuits that I plan on using will be marked on the panel box and others will be turned off when on generator power. I have a 2nd, smaller North Star generator to use if needed.

Comment

There is a reason the comments are turned off.
                            Please do not follow this idiots instructions/advice.
                            "Pro-tip"😂 hes a fool.

Comment

Kohler 20kw natural gas generator with transfer switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                                Home Depot sells the DuroMax gens that are duel fuel (propane and gas) and electric start with recoil backup. I havent seen them in store but theyve got them online. I just picked one up and its enroute to the local store.

To answer your specific question...portable gen and extra fuel.
                                My FIL bought one of these and two 40 or 60 bs propane bottles.

Comment

Working...
                                X