No announcement yet.

Taos Fishing Live Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one time I don't mind the pics being over sized. Makes me feel like I'm right there (scrolling left and right, down and up)!

Some great shots there Graysonhogs!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      This is one time I don't mind the pics being over sized. Makes me feel like I'm right there (scrolling left and right, down and up)!

X2

Really enjoying you and your brother’s fishing trip, awesome country and great pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

I’m on Tapatalk and selecting “small”. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          I’m on Tapatalk and selecting “small”. [emoji15]

No worries! Like I said, I'm digging it!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Jeremy Jines. Super slow fishing. Didn’t see anyone catching.

Going to Rio Castillo tomorrow.
            Darnit! We fished with Jeremy a few years ago on a lark and with short notice when our usual guide was not available...the only other time we fished Eagle Nest Lake. I did not catch a single fish, and my friend caught a couple of small yellow perch. We will not use him again.

You should catch some trout on the Costilla, but they won't be large; still fun. Beautiful valley and scenery with the narrow river running through it. Good luck!

Comment

Yeah we drove up there to look around after Eagle Nest. Beautiful

Comment

Chasing pike at Eagle Nest

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                  Love Eagle nest. Caught a ton of pike there. Took a handful of 3/8 oz spinnerbaits (for bass) and caught a ton. Drop worms for yellow perch, troll for trout.

Always a family favorite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@basschump

What kind of worms, setup?

Comment

@basschump

What kind of worms, setup?

From shore- a 1/2 oz bell sinker with the hook tied about a foot above like a drop shot. The weight is for distance. Wiggles or night crawlers both work well.

By boat- same deal, just drop straight down. Move around until you hit the right depth. You can catch a 100 once you find the depth.

We caught pike wading and by boat. We always did good later in the AM. Not sure why. Look for flooded veg if there is any. The deeper water just past the veg can be great. If a t-storm kicks up- fish the windy shoreline.

Comment

Taos Fishing Live Trip

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                      From shore- a 1/2 oz bell sinker with the hook tied about a foot above like a drop shot. The weight is for distance. Wiggles or night crawlers both work well.

By boat- same deal, just drop straight down. Move around until you hit the right depth. You can catch a 100 once you find the depth.

We caught pike wading and by boat. We always did good later in the AM. Not sure why. Look for flooded veg if there is any. The deeper water just past the veg can be great. If a t-storm kicks up- fish the windy shoreline.

We will be wading the north end. Went to Taos Fly Shop and they told us where people were having luck.

Treble hook?

Thanks for the great info.

Last edited by Graysonhogs; 06-14-2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

We will be wading the north end. Went to Taos Fly Shop and they told us where people were having luck. Brother caught a 24” pike today and I missed a couple. He was using a Zara and I was using a Jitterbug.

Treble hook on the perch set up?

Comment

Did you fish that n/w corner along the reeds? Sounds like you gave up on the fly fishing?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Did you fish that n/w corner along the reeds? Sounds like you gave up on the fly fishing?

Didn’t give up on the fly fishing. The guide trip was the the first time my brother and I had even held a fly rod. Loved it but have zero gear and extremely limited knowledge. We both plan to gear up and learn all we can between now and our next trip.

Comment

lovin' the pics, sir. The pike has to be some good eating.

Sounds good on the fly fishing, you've acquired a very interesting and fun hobby/sport!

Comment

We will be wading the north end. Went to Taos Fly Shop and they told us where people were having luck.

Treble hook?

Sorry about the slow reply.
                                Always used a singe hook. When you find the school, its can be really fun. No need to mess with treble hook.

We fish the Moreno Day Use area for pike. Hike toward the dam/outlet. there are trails from the parking lot. Its a large, long flat. wade to the edge. That area has always been productive for us.

Feel free to PM to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X