Heavy Game Carbon Arrow Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The heavy recurve arrow setups I’ve been using are falling out of component availability.

Wanted to see if any of you fellas have built heavier hunting arrows recently that you are satisfied with (terminal performance, but also tuned/drill bit flight).

Appreciated.

Easton Axis are heavy shafts. And you can use the brass HIT inserts to get more point weight. My favorite arrow of all time is the axis 5mm in .260 spine. They come 34" uncut, and you need one heck of a heavy bow and heavy heads to get them to tune right, but they are dang near bombproof.

Comment

x2 on what Trumpkin said. I am shooting a 64# @33" recurve, my Easton Axis 5mm 260 spine arrows are left at full length, shooting 330 grains up front for a total arrow weight of 725 grains. They fly good, but I am not as accurate as I would like to be at longer distances(30-50 yards)... but man do they pack a punch at typical trad hunting distances.

That being said, I don't see myself spending the money on that build again. The performance and accuracy of my lighter arrow build is much better!

Comment

Thanks fellas - will give the axis 5mms a try at heavier spine.

Comment

What draw weight are you shooting? If I remember correctly, it’s pretty light, correct?

I need that info to give you a more better answer.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have some heavies on the classifieds

Comment

hey Bisch - yep I usually shoot around 42 at my draw weight in the off season.. but have a couple of Bob Lee ultimates that are ~ 55# at 29.5” anchor.

Will be German Kinetic broadheads.

Comment

Ok, for the 55# bows, you can make a .400 or .350 spine shaft work. If you go stiffer than that it will end up crazy heavy to be able to correctly tune.

For the 42# bow, even if you go with a .400 spine, your tuned arrow will be stupid heavy with very poor trajectory.

Easton Full Metal Jackets are also good shafts for building pretty heavy arrows.

And btw, I love your choice of broadheads! GK is my favorite!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Last edited by Bisch; 06-14-2021, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I have a good buddy that is shooting a Bob Lee 55# recurve and he made 400 spine arrows work with a total arrow weight of 635 gr. He only hunts in stands with a max range of 15 yards. He can hold accuracy to longer distances, but he is really "lobbing logs" past 20 or so.

When he shoots my heavy 725 gr arrows it has noticeably poor performance. After playing around with the weights of arrows and really paying attention to accuracy and flight it really makes me question the "heavy" 12 + grains per pound idea in regards to slower traditional bows. To each their own, but when I put my 64# recurve through the tests of performance I am much happier with the 10.2 gr per pound arrows! I personally will not spend anymore money on arrows that come in more than that gr per pound ratio.

Comment

Thx fellas - Great feedback.

Comment

Working...
                    X