No announcement yet.

Wyoming management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been getting good moisture last week or so. Hay is starting to take off now.
    We run 3 mineral sites for wildlife and they are getting good use too. Lots of elk sign around the meadows and mineral sites. Going to put up the trail cam at end of one meadow and another further down the creek in a small no cut meadow.
    Attached Files

Comment

These elk are using the spring for water and mineral site at the head of this draw. Pulled the cam to move it to the meadows as cattle will be in June 1.
      Got some spots ready for test plots along the irrigation ditches, Powerplant going in next weekend.
      Attached Files

Comment

Awesome thread! Keep up the great work!

Comment

Cattle are back to the property, not in meadows.
          Moved the trail cams and caught these pics last week.

Whitetails are back along the creek and checking out my garden behind the house.
          Elk have been feeding in the timothy meadow, should get some better pics of them I hope.
          Maybe the big doe in the far meadow will have her fawn there, we had calf elk and deer fawns last year.

Grass is finally getting some height, we have warmer, sunny days this week. Power Plant test plots going in Friday.
          Attached Files

Comment

Moved water today but I didn't check the trail cams. Going back up tomorrow and stay the night and get some work done around the place.
            Came back from changing water today and as we drove out of the corral into the yard area we jumped a black bear feeding on a dead rabbit, it was about 1 pm.
            I got out of the side by side and went around the bunkhouse and met him, he treed without his rabbit. Took some pics and it tried to bail out over the tin roof, slid off onto the ground and high tailed it towards the creek.
            Bear tag in my pocket when we go back tomorrow.
            It had rummaged around in the garage before finding the rabbits. Young bear but we don't need bear issues around the house or barn.
            Attached Files

Comment

Send some bear LDP pics tomorrow!

Comment

Wow, bear sighting ! Hope he either hightails it or you get him. Great thread !

Comment

No cell service or internet at the ranch so no live updates. I'm picking up a bear tag this morning, season closes June 15 and we can bait. No sow quota in this area either.
                  I'll put up a trail cam also below the house and along the creek.
                  They get bears moving through on occasion, they like the apple trees in fall .

Comment

Great thread and good luck on the bear.

Comment

Planted the PowerPlant test plots. Hoping for rain or we'll try to rig up some kind of gravity watering system.
                      Set up a bear bait down along the creek , next to a nice apple tree. We're betting the bear moved on but we'll see if anything checks out our bait. We have til June 15 for bear season.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Trail cams shows the whitetails bucks are back along the creek and cow elk should be calving soon. Hay height might make seeing fawns and calves hard to view.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Cool thread. Good luck on getting a bear.

Comment

Didn't have time to check the trail cams but saw our whitetail deer above the meadows and jumped a cow elk also while going out to move water.
                            Landowners came up to look at the hay and were very happy this year with the growth, they saw a new mule deer fawn out on their ride around the property.

Meadow grass is about knee to thigh high, timothy bottom is about chest high.
                            The horses should get some good grass bales for winter if weather holds out til cutting.
                            Attached Files

Comment

"The horses should get some good grass bales for winter if weather holds out til cutting."

How many cuttings per summer do yall normally get off that patch?

Rwc

Comment

One cutting, will not have the water later in summer for irrigation.
                                We have 4 meadows we are irrigating, I can not remember the acreage. This year 1 meadow is not getting any irrigation due to water levels.
                                I'll try to get a bale count after the cutting.
                                The rancher usually gets 150 square bales for his roping steers and the rest in rounds for horses and the cutter's share.

No sign of the bear, we put a good scare into it I guess.

Next update after our moose scouting trip to Western Wyo. Spouse has a tag for area 24, going over Thursday for a couple of days to look around and get to know the roads.
                                Also going to visit a good friend that brews for Wind River brewery now, in Pinedale.

Comment

Working...
                                X