No announcement yet.

Barn Swallow proofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had photos with them building a nest next to the fake snakes I put out. they treated the old CDs I hung as an obstacle course and won. The bird repellent below works but it is basically silicone that does not dry and eventually makes a hell of a mess. I suspect if I would have used less it would not have been as bad. The spike strips work if you have a ledge that you can place them on and remove them after they establish a nest some where else.
    That "little bit of poop" comment is BS. I learned my lesson and will not let them set up shop on my porch again. It took me a few years to keep them away and they still occasionally come back in April.

Comment

Wouldn't mind em so much if they'd learn how to chit in the grass! Gonna get some of the bird wires or make some.

Comment

for the amount of mosquitos they eat I will deal with a little bird poop and nest.

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
          We have some at our house that come every year and lay eggs on top of our porch light. Once the eggs hatch and the little ones leave the nest. I remove it. Will not see them for another year. Right now I got 4-5 babies in that nest.

Yup, we have Phoebe nests on the front porch and garage every year. Both have babies in them right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I let mine nest all they want. I even put flashing on the posts so cats can’t get to them. It’s nice to sit out on my patio in the evening and be mosquito free. I only wish they’d eat flies.

Comment

I'd take a few round here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

What is wrong with a barn swallow..? They have to nest somewhere. Same family as a purple martin. I love mine.

Comment

I have about a dozen swallow nests on all sides of the house. They sure do keep the mosquito population in check. Love to watch them swooping back and forth when I'm on the tractor. Very friendly little birds, too. Occasionally a Rat Snake gets into the nest; Mother Nature all around.

Comment

Got up to the ranch yesterday and the little boogers have invaded our carports. Cool to watch the react with each. Some are always fussing at each other.

Comment

We placed two plastic owls, that we purchased at Lowe's, on the front porch and the swallows left. Over ten years without any problems so far.

Comment

I added a shelf up under the porch so they could build a nest on that instead of on the wall. Added a drop pan below the shelf - bird droppings land inside the drip pan - No mess and they flat out kill flies by the thousands.

These birds mate for life and some of them fly from South America to here. It's illegal to knock a nest down - these are migratory birds and they are protected at the State and Federal level.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                          I added a shelf up under the porch so they could build a nest on that instead of on the wall. Added a drop pan below the shelf - bird droppings land inside the drip pan - No mess and they flat out kill flies by the thousands.

These birds mate for life and some of them fly from South America to here. It's illegal to knock a nest down - these are migratory birds and they are protected at the State and Federal level.
                          Rob, I’d like to see some pictures of your set up. I guess with the livestock we’ve got more flies than mine can handle.

Comment

I'd like to see this setup as well!

Comment

Good info, I had no idea that swallows were a “migratory bird” I have always lumped that term in with game bird.

Comment

Is a hummingbird considered a migratory bird? What percentage of all birds are migratory?

Comment

Working...
                                X