X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super nice! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to make the post.
      Awesome bear. Congratulations and good luck

Comment

I guess there are a good enough population up there of those to allow shooting just for the hide/skull? Congrats on your buddies kill...thing is friggin huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wigeon Kryp2nit View Post
          We typically don’t keep brown bear meat.

The state doesn’t require it, and it can be loaded with worms and other parasites. Some guys do, but I’ve got enough other sources of meat that risk from eating brown bear meat just doesn’t pencil out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Congrats on the Bear. Dang huge! A 338Lapua jamming? Jeez. Not what you would expect.
          Now as far as not keeping the meat. Does it go into a dumpster or does it go in an area where other critters such as raptors and scavengers get to make use of the meat?

Comment

I can just imagine the adrenaline rush it must be to hunt a bear! Great experience and congratulations to your buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
              Seems like a waste to kill such a big animal that is an apex predator for just a hide and a skull.....
              Good grief, its called resource management for crying out loud. Why can't people just be happy for a successful hunt by the OP? And if you cant then just STFU. SMH

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                Good grief, its called resource management for crying out loud. Why can't people just be happy for a successful hunt by the OP? And if you cant then just STFU. SMH
                So....this is a "public" forum where we can post opinions and personal views correct? Am I not able to do, or is it just you. You, personally, can kiss my ***....

Comment

So....this is a "public" forum where we can post opinions and personal views correct? Am I not able to do, or is it just you. You, personally, can kiss my ***....
                  Was it legal? Yup.
                  Then anyone who has differerent opinion can go scratch.

Comment

Congrats! Super cool bear. I'd move to Alaska in a hearbeat to be able to hunt those, but unfortunately wife still says no to that. I'll just have to live vicariously through threads like this. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

"It's legal. You don't like it, get over it."

I recently read this today posted once by a member defending a high fence hunt, where someone posted their opinion and personal views on the same forum.

While hard to do even for me...sometimes I find it's better not even to reply.

AWESOME BEAR! Bucket list for me!
                      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Seems like a waste to kill such a big animal that is an apex predator for just a hide and a skull.....

Why? It’s an apex predator. Who else is going to manage the numbers if hunters don’t? The apex predator in most areas of the US are coyotes. Do you think we should eat them?

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                          Why? It’s an apex predator. Who else is going to manage the numbers if hunters don’t? The apex predator in most areas of the US are coyotes. Do you think we should eat them?
                          Not saying their numbers don't need to be managed, but that doesn't mean waste them in doing so...

Comment

Not saying their numbers don't need to be managed, but that doesn't mean waste them in doing so...

Then finish the answer to the question I asked…should we eat coyotes too?

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                              Then finish the answer to the question I asked…should we eat coyotes too?
                              Or skunks? racoons? European Starlings and house sparrows? wasps on your porch? fire ants? The "eat what you kill" argument is an awfully slippery slope to navigate.

Forgot to add: We left the meat from a bear we killed in Idaho on top of a mountain for other predators and birds to feed off of and gain a protein source. It wasn't wasted. Why did we? 1. It's completely legal to do so. 2. Neither guides nor hunters relished the idea of trips up and down that mountainside, with no trail and heavy packs, to haul that old boar down, so we chose not to. Generosity towards our fellow predators only goes so far, so we did take the backstraps. We kept the meat from the other three. Based on what I've read, I dont think I would even consider eating a brown bear. I'd sure shoot one, though!

OP, sorry about contributing to the derailment. Congrats again on an awesome bear. Definately a dream animal for many a hunter.
                              Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Roger; 06-17-2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X