Anyone ever tried “Dustless Blasting”??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever tried “Dustless Blasting”??

I just purchased a 1985 F-250 from TBH’er [mention]sboudreaux [/mention] (thanks again man!). This thing is sweet, and I mean SAAAWWWWEEET! Can’t find any rust, runs like a top, straight body, and my wife actually likes it!

So what’s wrong with it? Well, there’s a bedliner that was applied over the entire body of the truck several years back, and it’s definitely seen better days. Some of it will peel right off but some of it won’t budge.

A couple of questions for ya:

- What’s the best way to remove from the whole truck so I can prep for paint or a new professional spray on bedliner?

- Anyone ever try dustless blasting ( http://www.texasgreenblast.com/index.html)? A buddy at work found this one close to home and it seems pretty awesome. (Bonus points if you have a ballpark on cost!)

- Any leads on a good paint shop or bedliner shop that I can check out around the Georgetown/Round Rock area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no help but I kept going back to that thread like a bug to a porch light. Please be sure to post your finished product somewhere!

Comment

Personally I don't think you would get very far blasting, just a guess.
      I spent a million hrs of my childhood sandblasting granite with aluminum oxide, and it seems like the bedliner would hold up a long time against that media.
      Depends on how well it's stuck on, I guess.
      Possibly some type of stripper would take it off.
      Curious to see what you figure out.
      Last edited by MadHatter; 06-15-2021, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        I spent a million hrs of my childhood sandblasting granite with aluminum oxide, and it seems like the bedliner would hold up a long time against that media.
        Possibly some time of stripper would take it off.
        Agree with this, the bedliner may not be brittle enough to erode away from the blast media.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Possibly some time of stripper would take it off.

This! Most bedliner is too rubbery so it just absorbs the shot.

Comment

Try Strypeeze. Works on paint, not sure about that type of base.

Comment

I have a dustless blaster but I'm in Houston. You can probably call a few industrial coating shops in your area to see if one of them can blast it for you.

Comment

Wire wheel on a grinder.

Comment

I think the dustless blasting will take it to bare metal quickly based on the videos that I watched. It eats through body filler in seconds so sun-rotted bedliner won't be a problem. I would spend the money to have it blasted then take it straight to whoever is going to put a new coat on it.

Last edited by jmeghunts; 06-15-2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Try calling a company that installs bed liners in trucks and ask them what they use to remove old liners when prepping for a new liner.

Comment

Thanks y’all!

I got quoted 400 to strip the whole truck to bare metal, seems fair!

Now, bedliner is another story. I got a quote today for 7k to do the whole truck in super liner. That seems insane! I’m leaning more towards a “decent” paint job. Any recommendations on a paint shop around the greater Austin area that won’t cost an arm and a leg?

Comment

Wow that’s 400 well spent if they do a good job. But wow that seems like a lot to spray an old truck with liner

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                          I think the dustless blasting will take it to bare metal quickly based on the videos that I watched. It eats through body filler in seconds so sun-rotted bedliner won't be a problem. I would spend the money to have it blasted then take it straight to whoever is going to put a new coat on it.

https://youtu.be/qYfgDpI4f5c

Body filler and rubbery bed liner is apples to oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
                            Wow that’s 400 well spent if they do a good job. But wow that seems like a lot to spray an old truck with liner

100% agree on both!

Comment

Originally posted by Tight View Post
                              Thanks y’all!

I got quoted 400 to strip the whole truck to bare metal, seems fair!

Now, bedliner is another story. I got a quote today for 7k to do the whole truck in super liner. That seems insane! I’m leaning more towards a “decent” paint job. Any recommendations on a paint shop around the greater Austin area that won’t cost an arm and a leg?

Where is that at? Previous owners of my excursion did an Earl Scheib type paint job on it and it is flaking off everywhere. I want to take it to metal and start over. $400 would be well worth it for me not to have to spend days prepping it. I already have access to a paint guy for gratis, I just have to do the prep work.

Comment

Working...
                              X