Hunting Arrows for Low Draw Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Arrows for Low Draw Weight

I am going to build some arrows for my 12 year old daughter who is just getting into archery, we don't even have the bow yet!

I do have about eight 4mm Easton nano arrows, Deep Six inserts that I plan to use since they are free.

I don't have details on her draw weight yet, see first sentence, but her draw length will be about 22.5" to start.

I was looking at getting some 50 grain inserts to increase the weight of her arrow and get some FOC going for her.

Am I taking the wrong approach here? I don't plan for her to shoot beyond 20 yards, so thinking a heavier arrow will help with penetration as speed is going to be slow to start.

Thoughts or comments?

Sounds like you are headed down the right path . Just be cognizant of the spine, extremely stiff shafts can tune just fine but are more finicky than optimal to somewhat weak reactions. Probably the biggest thing will be broadhead selection, something two blade/ cut-on-contact (preferably with a steel ferrule) will maximize the penetration of the setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I’m not sure what spine they are. I’ll check when I get home. Was going to go with Iron Will broadheads.

Comment

Not sure how you could build an arrow without knowing her draw weight. But since you already have the arrows then spine and length are already fixed. The only variables you will have to play with for good arrow flight are shorter length, pile weight, and nock end weight.

If the bow will be a trad bow, you are pretty limited on tuning options. If a compound, you can be stiff and still do OK.

Good luck! I bet it's fun to have a kid getting into your sport.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
          Not sure how you could build an arrow without knowing her draw weight. But since you already have the arrows then spine and length are already fixed. The only variables you will have to play with for good arrow flight are shorter length, pile weight, and nock end weight.

If the bow will be a trad bow, you are pretty limited on tuning options. If a compound, you can be stiff and still do OK.

Good luck! I bet it's fun to have a kid getting into your sport.
          See first sentence of OP.

Would like to take the arrows when we go get the bow.

Comment

Since you're going to use the arrows you have, take some steps to be able to make some tuning changes on the fly if needed.

Have two different insert weights, and several point weights. That way you just make some quick changes to tune. Use "cool melt" stick glue and you can change inserts fairly easily and quckly.

Comment

You are headed in the right direction. Personally, I would not even worry with adding heavier inserts at this time. 12 years old, she most likely will pull somewhere in the 35-40 lb range at first and will most likely burn through those 4 mm Easton's pretty quick if she is anything like mine were when first starting out.

And honestly, you can tune most any bow set to that draw length and draw weight to most any fletched straight arrow.

The biggest positive here is that she wants to get into archery.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
              X