Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA - Please don't kill snakes unless you know they are deadly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
    Good way of putting it.
    You've got some brains to go with all of those years I see. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

i hate snakes ! sur won't pick them up or play with them .. but unless it's a rattlesnake or copperhead , which are the only 2 venomous i've seen on my place , all the others get a pass ... i just cleaned up camp and cut the grass short , no piled up wood and places to hide and i don't see them too often .

walked up on a few rat snakes and even had one emerge between my legs while driving my kawasaki mule .. he was asleep on top of the gas tank which is under the seat ... scared the crap out of me, but when i saw the round eyes and relaxed demeanor , I let him crawl through the steering wheel onto the hood and disappeared back under into the tall grass ... too many field mice and rats around ... rat snakes are beneficial in that aspect. anyone who had to redo the wiring on tractors or skid steer will attest to it.

Comment

Anyone who spends time outdoors should be able to spot and identify a snake quickly. Your life may depend on it.
        this last weekend we were riding around on the sxs and saw 3 snakes, one was a dead rattler on the county rd, one was a small glass snake I saved from the cats, and the 3rd was another rattler on the road. when i didn't kill the second rattler my wife asked why. i said that he was 2 miles from the house and wasn't hurting anything other than rats.

Comment

It took three woden eggs to kill this egg sucker....Texas Rat Snake. I opened the chicken coop yesterday...saw it...did an about face to my truck for the chovel and machete...went back and realized it wasnt alive. Im wondering if my Ornery Cock attacked it and shoved the nesting board against the backwall...pinching its body.

Ive turned a few Texas Rat Snakes loose this year out of my warehouse. I know they are helping me keep my pest populations in check.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-09-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
            Has anyone ever actually seen a king or bull snake eat a venomous snake?
            Yes! Only once though and it was in our fab shop of all places. I noticed something in the corner. I walked up on it and it was a speckled kingsnake that had a texas rat snake wrapped up and about a third of the way down. I brought a couple of other guys over there to see it as well. Apparently it upset the king snake so he regurgitated the rat snake and both went their separate ways. Amazingly the rat snake was vine despite being constructed and swallowed. Had the process gone on any longer it would not have survived.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
              That's what 150class did when that dude forced his way into his apartment.

This^^^!

Snakes are snakes, man. Normal people kill them on sight, weirdos love and nurture them.

It literally is black&white, yes or no, in or out. Snake lovers aren't ever going to change minds.
              I don't kill them on sight or love and nurture them. If they're not venomous I just leave them alone. I guess that's a gray area?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                fify
                That’s five!

Comment

I got cats to deal with the snakes. And on the rare occasion I get one in the yard they get relocated. That includes Coral's. I have dispatched a few rattlers that were to close to the house or camp but if I'm out in the wilds they too get a pass

Comment

We get a lot of water moccasins around my house and a few corals. I kill them when I find them. Other than that the only snakes I've ever killed were a couple of water snakes that I found by the pond with bullfrogs in their mouth, and a pair of rat snakes that got into one of my purple martin houses. I've let all kinds of other stuff go. If I had chickens I would kill rat snakes (and foxes), but I don't. What's the point in killing them? Irrational fear is a stupid reason to do anything.

Comment

I've got two water snakes in the backyard that come and go through the creek. A gray one and a brown one. Definitely water snakes, the gray one is very shy and will take off when he see's you. The brown one is pretty calm and just slips around.

Comment

My son and daughters have always loved catching snakes and turtles and lizards etc and playing with them…. But they are also smart enough to know poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. I guess they are braver than a lot of grown men!

Comment

Measured 7’ 3” usually don’t kill them but 30 guinea eggs and 2 peacock eggs later he had to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by roygarcia54 View Post

Measured 7’ 3” usually don’t kill them but 30 guinea eggs and 2 peacock eggs later he had to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy cow!!!

Comment

Almost saw a speckled kingsnake eat a rattlesnake for the first time yesterday. Caught them both and only had one bucket so I put them both in there. When I opened the bucket that rattlesnake was ready to get out of there. That kingsnake was trying to bite it on the head. He was practically chasing it around in that bucket trying to kill it. I tossed the rattlesnake out and took the kingsnake out where it needs to be killin rattlesnakes. I dang sure don't want it where I catch rattlesnakes. Between the hawks and everything else I don't need anymore competition.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                                Almost saw a speckled kingsnake eat a rattlesnake for the first time yesterday. Caught them both and only had one bucket so I put them both in there. When I opened the bucket that rattlesnake was ready to get out of there. That kingsnake was trying to bite it on the head. He was practically chasing it around in that bucket trying to kill it. I tossed the rattlesnake out and took the kingsnake out where it needs to be killin rattlesnakes. I dang sure don't want it where I catch rattlesnakes. Between the hawks and everything else I don't need anymore competition.
                                Good times

Comment

Working...
                                X