Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autism? How many have children on the spectrum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just re read the post i found it interesting a kid being un social is any concern. Not every body like to talk to people and stuff and some kids are just quiet. I was a quiet kid did not talk much or have a bunch of friends, i think it comes out to be a way you read people, I'm not talking or interacting because maybe you know these kids are fake and u don't have time for that. Also some kids just like being by them self or maybe only with certain people. Just because kids not a social butterfly does not mean they are autistic.
    My mom and me are the same way we are not going to talk anyone unless we have to, my bother and sister will talk to any body.
    When i first met my wife yeah i talked to her because i liked her but she saw how i was when we where in crowds, i just keep to my self and will only talk to her, her on the other hand she will talk to anyone.
    So i have to disagree with above comments not talking and being social is not a problem every one is different and that what makes us all unique.

Comment

My wife is a pediatric occupational therapist.

She spends lots of time with all sorts of diagnoses, but Autism in particular is a large part of her caseload.

It’s amazing how much better her kiddos have done since Telehealth started! She has had to teach the parents and not work with the kids as much. Huge improvements in functionality come from the parents learning and understanding and following the program with their kids. Structure, all kids needs structure, even more so when they are on the spectrum.

Stay involved, be an advocate, you are your boys biggest/only fan, role model and guardian!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
        My son has aspergers.

A literal card carrying genius that's wired a little different.

Reads a novel a day, loves music but hates noise.

Wouldn't trade him for the world.
        I have a nephew. His parents I guess never really wanted to label him "having" anything. Super smart kid, that could read at a ridiculously early age, but has trouble in social situations and sometimes with noise and eye contact stuff that's typical of aspergers/mild autism. No doctor, but he's on the spectrum. Great kid, but he will have some growing pains. He was messing with the code to change how some video game worked the other day...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
          My son has aspergers.

A literal card carrying genius that's wired a little different.

Reads a novel a day, loves music but hates noise.

Wouldn't trade him for the world.
          My son also. His room is like a library. About to go off to college in Ireland.

Hardest part is the social stuff. Hard as a parent not seeing him do what other kids are doing at the same age. But he wears it like a badge, and you realize as a parent he is fine with it all and thankfully God made us all different. Like others have said also, heart of gold. Just thinks differently. Really interesting kid once you get to know him. Unfortunately most never do because of his quirks. Tells me all the time that he is the normal one and maybe we are not normal.

Comment

I like the "Focus on the ability not on the disability!" Sends a positive message to the kids.

Comment

Our son played special olympics basketball with the Katy Wolfpack for several years. We as a society could learn so much from these people. Don’t know if you’ve ever noticed but they don’t recognize their teammates disabilities. It’s the darndest thing. They accept each other as they are.

Comment

Just want to say I deeply admire and respect each of you for your comments and insight. Loving, solid Dads, and awesome, capable, great Kids!

Comment

I was brought to tears reading this as I rocked my 2 year old to sleep. He too is a little slower, no diagnosis and I don’t think there ever will be but my wife worries. Nothing in the world makes me respect a man more than his love for his family. Sure enjoyed reading through this!

Comment

Interesting how TBH seems to have timely discussions on life.

My 17 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with ADHD and is going in tomorrow to hear results from Aspergers testing. She pretty much self diagnosed but wanted validation. We’ve known the “spectrum” tenancies for years but it will be good for her to know although she i has been very self aware for a couple of years.

She just graduated high school with a 4.3 GPA and is going to college at the University of Washington in the fall.
                    Last edited by ShockValue; 06-08-2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

My oldest was diagnosed at 3 years old. He had delayed speech, pointing issues, echolalia, sensory issues, lined his toys up in a particular manner. Boy if you messed with the toys or moved one from the middle to the end, he would lose his mind. With what little he could talk, he could recite his alphabet at 18 mos. old.

He’s now 7 and such a sweet, smart kid. We took him to the eye doctor today and he immediately wanted to give the doc a hug (can’t blame him though). He’s definitely all boy but has different interests than meZ. Loves art and music. He’s socially awkward at times but that’s what makes him special. He’s in normal classes, he’s just going to be the kid that is a little different than everyone else.

I’d love to get in his head so I could see the way he sees the world, because it is definitely different than his little brother.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                        I don't want to say that processed foods and chemicals are the cause or contribute to the syndrome, but I'm not a scientist so I can't confirm or deny that.

I do however, think, that it has more to do with the medical community making advancements in diagnosing this type of thing.

Like ADHD - when we were younger, kids with severe ADHD were just, "bad kids" - now we know that there is a chemical imbalance causing that behavior. Maybe not the best example because we affectively use meth to treat the cause, but I think it gets my point across.
                        Originally posted by Man View Post
                        I don't know if its just me but it seems the number of people I know that have autistic kids has grown rapidly the past 10-15 years. This has really been eye opening for me in many ways especially the past 5 years or so with regards to foods and chemicals.
                        Agreed.

Nearly everyone in my family along with close friends think my brothers son has Aspergers. He would read all christmas day when the rest of the kids are outside running wild. Brother and sister in law refused to have him tested and I think are in denial today. He excelled in school early was accepted in A&M engineering program and dropped out over social issues. Things have gotten really bad a few times with suicidal thoughts etc. They still refuse to do anything but medicate and talk to the church.

Originally posted by schmalzy View Post
                        Just want to say I deeply admire and respect each of you for your comments and insight. Loving, solid Dads, and awesome, capable, great Kids!

X2!!

Comment

One of my cousins and uncles who I spent a lot of time with when I was growing up are on the spectrum. Both of them are smart and gifted with incredible memories. My uncle has had an amazing career and travelled the world. Unfortunately, my cousin was in some ways left to his own devices and while he is still wicked smart he is also more likely to spend all of his time playing video games. He started playing at 5 and is now 27. The man can take apart an engine with no training but doesn’t apply himself. I love him and wish the best for him.

Comment

Originally posted by mww982 View Post
                            I’d love to get in his head so I could see the way he sees the world, because it is definitely different than his little brother.

This is something I wish I could do as well. See things how he does so I can be a better dad to him.

Comment

Eventually you will figure out how he thinks to an extent. 25 years into this and I pretty well can tell what’s going on with my son, sometimes. He went walking around the lake the other day and when he came back I noticed his pants were wet.
                              I said “Caleb how’d your pants get wet”? He said “I needed to go to the bathroom and couldn’t hold it so I just whizzed I’m my pants “. Me “ why didn’t you just walk off I’m the brush like I do sometimes when no one is there”? Caleb “I didn’t think of it dad”.
                              So I told him to change his clothes and put the wet ones in the laundry room. No need to shame him because he told me the truth. Such is the life of a special needs dad!

Comment

Originally posted by CletusBodeen View Post
                                This is something I wish I could do as well. See things how he does so I can be a better dad to him.
                                You are already there on being a better Dad. Just love him and be there.

It is different raising a child on the spectrum, but you make it what it is. I have spend countless hours at therapy appointments and doctor visits. Trying to learn everything that I can. What I have found out is, that everyone child is different. Just be there for them and help them along the way. There will be battles between you and your son, and you will both learn from them.

As you learn how they think and see things, it will get better. The battles will be less, but different battles will appear. When my son was younger, it was difficult teaching him and getting him to understand. We would go back and forth and then we would both figure out how to communicate with one another and he would pick it up. Once he and I got on the same page, he would excel. There will be trying times for both of you, but you will both get there. It will take time.

And what works for one child may not work for another. This has been my experience with it all.

Do not beat yourself up. It will be a huge learning curve.

I am speaking from my personal experience. My son was diagnosed at 18 months old and I would not change him for anything. He has taught me a geat deal about being a Dad.

Comment

Working...
                                X