No announcement yet.

Calling all fly fishermen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go fish the San Juan below Navajo Dam in New Mexico.Probably one of the 10 best places to fly fish for trout in the US if not the world. The one and only time I have fly fished I caught so many I lost count. Visit the local fly shop and expect to fish small. I was with two experienced fly fisherman and they were my “guide”. It is hard to describe, you just need to see it for your self.

Comment

Any recommendations for using spinning gear as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Most of the best stretches of rivers have regulations that require the use of a single barbless hook only and artificial lures/flies. So if you're using spinning gear, you can't use salmon eggs or Power Bait or anything like that. You can't use a Mepps spinner with a barbed treble hook on the back either. You can clip off two of the hooks and mash the barb down on the remaining hook on the Mepps. Or you can get a bubble float that's heavy enough to cast with a spinning rod and tie a fly on to a leader off of that to fish with a fly on a spinning rod.

Or just make sure you are fishing water where those regulations don't apply, and you can use treble hooks and bait and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Most of the best stretches of rivers have regulations that require the use of a single barbless hook only and artificial lures/flies. So if you're using spinning gear, you can't use salmon eggs or Power Bait or anything like that. You can't use a Mepps spinner with a barbed treble hook on the back either. You can clip off two of the hooks and mash the barb down on the remaining hook on the Mepps. Or you can get a bubble float that's heavy enough to cast with a spinning rod and tie a fly on to a leader off of that to fish with a fly on a spinning rod.

Or just make sure you are fishing water where those regulations don't apply, and you can use treble hooks and bait and such.
          This works great if your using spinning rod setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
            Go fish the San Juan below Navajo Dam in New Mexico.Probably one of the 10 best places to fly fish for trout in the US if not the world. The one and only time I have fly fished I caught so many I lost count. Visit the local fly shop and expect to fish small. I was with two experienced fly fisherman and they were my “guide”. It is hard to describe, you just need to see it for your self.
            We carved out a day to do this.

Comment

Anybody fished Eagle Nest Lake?

Comment

I was in the area but I never fished the lake. Fly fisherman refer to the lakes as stillwater and they are not the preferred body of water when there are other options.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                  I was in the area but I never fished the lake. Fly fisherman refer to the lakes as stillwater and they are not the preferred body of water when there are other options.

I’m wanting to fish that lake for Pike

Comment

I much prefer to fish still water, lakes ponds and such.

Comment

Originally posted by sandbill View Post
                      Lefty Kreh videos. He has passed on, but was an excellent instructor.
                      I read Lefty’s book on fly casting and how he talked about casting with a set of car keys, just using the tip section to cast 50 feet and fishing in high winds using his casting methods. I thought, great stuff but he really can’t do all that.

Then I went to Orvis Houston and watched him do it....

I also got to watch his fly tying class. He was entertaining as well as a great instructor. Lefty definitely has his own methods but I still use his principles of fly casting today.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far. I think I’m more excited about the pike than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          Call Taos Fly shop and hire a guide. We have used them for the last 6-7 years and will be there June 1-3.
                          Edit: Taos Fly Shop : (575) 751-1312; ask for guide Ron Sedall , cell; (505) 280-3377. Tell him that Randy and Sid highly recommended him, but give plenty notice because he stays booked. We have fished with him for 7 consecutive years and ALWAYS been pleased. He will work hard for you and teach you , but I strongly urge you to take casting lessons before going.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                            Thanks for the info so far. I think I’m more excited about the pike than anything.

You will be fishing 8 wt for the pike using streamers. If you don’t have an 8 wt, perhaps we can meet up and I can loan you one.

PM me your phone number.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post

I would be too.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                                Call Taos Fly shop and hire a guide. We have used them for the last 6-7 years and will be there June 1-3.
                                Wheres the link to your trips report?

Comment

Working...
                                X