Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the least acreage property you would high fence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
    A co-worker high fenced 80 acres. He has whitetail, axis, and red stag. He's been trying for 3 years to get rid of the stags, but can never find them. He says they get in the thickets and are never seen.

Seems small, but for personal use I suppose it's enough.
    We chased a 190" deer a guy wounded around a 90 acre pen one time... A friend of ours brought a customer to shoot this deer, and they couldn't find him so they asked us to come help look. We pushed deer across clearings, walked what we felt like was every inch of that thick junk and never saw him. 2 weeks later they killed him at a pile of hand corn looking rough! I honestly thought he got out of the fence because in my mind there was absolutely no way we could have missed him. We saw every other deer in that pen, but never the one we wanted to see and we spent all day long out there. All that said, I'd think 500 acres would be getting close to enough property. I know a guy who has 640 acres fenced and it was enough for a small group of people, and didn't feel like you were hunting a pen at all.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
      That's just a zoo.
      agree. but so is 150. unless you want to put about 2 deer on it and make it a minor challenge.

Comment

I would high fence a small place, not necessarily for hunting but to raise like livestock. Maybe I would shoot one (exotics) with a bow when I wanted meat in the freezer

Deer hunting then I would probably start at 1k acres. However, unless I win the lotto that isn't happening in my lifetime so I don't worry about such things.

Comment

I high fenced a 1/2 acre to keep a Timberwolf hybrid in it.

For hunting I wouldn’t go smaller than 250.

Comment

Is this a question on ethics or on herd health ? The answered are very different.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              a thousand seems like a good place to start, depending on cover and terrain it may need to be bigger.
              Or smaller....

Comment

600+

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                  Is this a question on ethics or on herd health ? The answered are very different.
                  This would be my question.

Comment

If you fence in that small of a place how do you no there are any animals in it when you finish.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                        If you fence in that small of a place how do you no there are any animals in it when you finish.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                        We have permits to take everything off of it this year, and he will be bringing in deer next year.....
                        130 acres of woods and maybe 20 of pasture...creek and pond on it...with Gullys

Comment

I high fenced a 2 acre garden once to keep the deer out...does that count lol

Comment

10 million acres !
                            That way I don’t feel bad about hunting inside of it.

Comment

I would say 1000 minimum if the terrain and habitat was good

Comment

Think about the long run on your bucks genetics, a small acre property will not be good for genetics.. Inbreeding comes to mind and most deer/bucks live in a square mile (640 acres) which will also depending on nutrition in the area. Bucks will sometimes venture for 2-5miles looking for hot doe's during the rut. So, best bet in my opinion is to talk to neighbors and then figure out your game plan.. Pun intended... Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X