6.5 prc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 prc

Anybody build theirs on a long action? I have a long action to build from is why I'm asking.

How well does it feed?
    Eject?
    Shoot?

What kind of velocities are you getting with factory ammo?

Also considering a 270 wsm for this build....

WTO is building mine on a long action bighorn tl3, just a few more months!

Comment

I’ve read that it works better with a LA. I have a 6.5 SAUM and mine works perfect in a SA.

Comment

I believe APR is building all of theirs on a long action.

By the looks of it, you could build on a short action but would need a Wyatt's mag box to run VLD's out near the lands and it would be close at that point.

To me, just as with the 65x284, it's made for a long action unless you're trying to save every ounce you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
          I believe APR is building all of theirs on a long action.

By the looks of it, you could build on a short action but would need a Wyatt's mag box to run VLD's out near the lands and it would be close at that point.

To me, just as with the 65x284, it's made for a long action unless you're trying to save every ounce you can.

APR will be who I use, whether I go 6.5 PRC, 270 wsm or something else

Comment

I'm having one built now on their Gen 2 long action. Should be ready in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I have a good family friend in Tomball whos father used to be a gun builder and he is pretty handy himself. He was helping me with my 7 mag a week ago and is in the process of building a 6.5 PRC. His dad hand carved the walnut stock and glass bedded to fit a Remington action. Beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

From what i gather, he says it needs a magnum bolt face and that if I wanted to re-barrel my Savage action, the 7 mag might be a good fit. He was just unsure if the long action would allow it to feed properly or if it would fit in the stock magazine compartment of this 30 year old model 110.

My main concern would be ammo availability because I do not hand load.

Comment

It does require a magnum bolt face and while it can run in a short action will run equally well if not better in a long action due to the length of the round and long 6.5 bullets. You're 7 mag would make a great doner for this.

Ammo availability is currently great with Hornady producing very accurate ammo at a reasonable price. Many years down the road, if this is a flash in the pan then who knows. In reality, even the flash in the pan rounds have ammo around for many years. You could stock up now and or save your brass in case this does become an issue later on.

Comment

Look at barrel burn rate

Comment

APR built mine on a long action. Feeds and ejects smoothly. I used the LabRadar to chrono and was getting right around 3000 fps from the Hornady ELD-X. Groups are .5 MOA easy and sometimes in the .3's when I'm on my game and do my part. Running suppressed the recoil is very mild.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
                      APR built mine on a long action. Feeds and ejects smoothly. I used the LabRadar to chrono and was getting right around 3000 fps from the Hornady ELD-X. Groups are .5 MOA easy and sometimes in the .3's when I'm on my game and do my part. Running suppressed the recoil is very mild.

Barrel length?

Comment

24”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What’s the point of choosing it in LA? There are higher performance 6.5s in LA

Comment

I’m going to first admit that I am a bit gun ignorant. Alamo Precision Rifles built mine on a defiance action and it’s a mid sized action. Not a short and not a long. I love it!! Loads and cycles flawlessly and shoots lights out. I shoot factory ammo and most times it’s 1/2 MOA or better. I killed a mule deer a 500 yards with it and my Texas desert bighorn at 300 yards with it. I haven’t always loved rifle hunting but I love this gun!

Comment

Working...
                            X