Preferred Broadhead weight - Whitetails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred Broadhead weight - Whitetails

What are the pros and cons regarding 100 grain vs. 125 grain broadheads?
    Is there an appreciable difference with regards to penetration, etc.?

Used to shoot them with 75 grains. I currently shoot 100gr with 50gr brass inserts and it's more than adequate for whitetails. My arrow setup weighs around 465grs total which may actually be a little on the heavier side for whitetails than what most people normally use but it's great for hogs.
    Sharp blades and shot placements are the 2 keys things.
    100gr are the easiest to find anywhere in case you forget broadheads and need to grab some at a store.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Comment

I also shoot 100gr heads, but use a 100gr brass insert so I have 200gr up front. My total arrow weight is a little over 500grs. Man do they hit like a hammer. I also agree with the post above stating 100gr is a little easier to find. Shoot what makes you happy. Maybe get a BH the will let you change the gr weight to play with and see what suites you.

Comment

100gr for everything in NA no reason for more

Comment

I shoot 125s as they typically have a larger cut diameter. I also add 50 grains of insert to a light arrow for a high FOC.

Not needed for Texas white tails but I'm a bit of a geek like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

100 gr mostly. Easier to find and more options. But I have 100 extra grains of insert weight

Comment

125s with 100 of insert. More total weight = more momentum. Another benefit is my bow is quieter at the shot.

Comment

I like to shoot 150 grain heads.
                  But they are heard to find.

I might go back down to 100 grain again just cause they're easier to find

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                      I like to shoot 150 grain heads.
                      But they are heard to find.

I might go back down to 100 grain again just cause they're easier to find

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
                      I’m the same, not sure what kind of heads you shoot, but I contacted slick trick and the 150 grain x bow model works on a compound bow. I’m ordering some to tryout myself.

Comment

Comment

I use 125 for everything

Comment

I used to always shoot 100gr but switched to 125 last year to help up my total arrow weight. I’m a few grains over 500 now.

Comment

There is no real noticeable difference. A 125 just helps your arrow weight and foc a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X