No announcement yet.

Redfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest is about 38”, I like replicas because they look better for much longer time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      Replica... my thoughts.
      This... Redfish are extremely oily.. It is next impossible to get one degreased like it needs to be, to last a lifetime, especially the head.. A replica cost more but will last a lifetime.. Take good pics and get a length and girth measurement.

The biggest I've ever caught was over 50".. In the surf near the mouth of the Brazos..

Comment

When I lived in S Louisiana I caught several over 30", never considered mounting one, just don't see spending that much money to hang something on the wall

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          My niece caught a 51 off my boat years ago. I’ve caught a bunch over 45. I will say a 25-30 inch fish with multiple spots makes a better replica. I had one with 19 spots that I should have taken better photos of.

With new electronics catching those bull reds has become fairly easy

Agreed. I’ve always found oversized reds to be unimpressive in the Wall.

Comment

Originally posted by shwacker1911 View Post
            Biggest I have landed was this 38 inch one had a hard time not getting a replica made will probably never catch one like it again.
            The great thing about replicas is you can have it made anytime. You've already got the measurement and a picture, go get your replica made!

Comment

Thank y'all. I should have been more specific. When I said mounting, i was thinking along the line of a replica. I like the way they turn out. We shall see what happenes. This is the latest ive ever done any coastal fishing. Usually I'm turned fully towards hunting season, but its still plenty hot in Oct.

Comment

We go out every October and fish from kayaks in the bay and backwaters. Catching slots on ultralight tackle make for a fun weekend.

I've never looked into the replica pricing, but if it's anything like deer mounts, the cost will be the deterrent.

Comment

46" on a bass rod with a chatterbait

Comment

I too went with spots over size. This red was only 28", but the prettiest I've been fortunate to catch.

Comment

My buddy and I were shark fishing in FL and we pulled this guy (this is my friend, he was on the reel and I was on the leader) - didn't measure him but we talked for a good while about having a replica made.

Comment

Mine was a 1/2" longer than the longest on this thread.

Surf fished for years and pulled in a 50.5" tank on a Newell 338 with a 9ft rod. Hell of a fight. On that note, I can rip fish in all day with a surf rig, but if I am going to put it on the wall, its going to be one caught on lighter tackle. But each trophy is different and special for us all. Enjoy the trophy however you can!!

LOTB

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
                          38” for me. When I catch one over 40 in the bay on a plastic, I’ll have a replica made.
                          I caught a 40” in POC last year wading with plastics for trout. Have a replica hanging on my wall now.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                            I caught a 40” in POC last year wading with plastics for trout. Have a replica hanging on my wall now.
                            Let see it the replica.

Comment

One of the best days for me many years ago, fishing in October at San Louis Pass, free-line finger mullet caught a 45" then on the next cast, caught a 41". Both released. Both fish were long a skinny and took 15 plus minutes to get in, great day!! Good luck on your trip!!

Comment

Son caught this 44” red on 10# Trilene wading the surf this summer. Way bigger than anything I’ve ever caught, he doesn’t know but his replica will be done in mid October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X