Drawn for Whitetail hunt at Matador

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and my buddy got drawn for either sex deer at Matador. Second hunt period 11-11 thru 11-15. Anyone ever hunt whitetail there? Any preferences on pasture or area? Any dos or don't? Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.

Have a friend that owns a place that is up the road from the matador and has taken some 170 to 190 deer

Comment

See my report on same hunt last year. It's fun.

Comment

Never hunted there but I know there are some giants up there. The area just looks like big buck country

Comment

I hunt close by, should be in the peak of rut activity as far as chasing goes. For that part of the state, my tips would be to bring rattling antlers, best tool to locate deer up there, good binoculars or a packable spotter are important as well, and be comfortable taking about up to 300+ Best of luck! Matador is an awesome place with some great animals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My son and I were drawn two years ago for the antlerless hunt. We chose the O.X pasture. Plenty of sign every where we laid a step but unfortunately we had to call it short and left 2 days into the hunt without filling our tags. I'd go back for sure if I were to get drawn again.
            Last edited by C.Read; 09-18-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I also drew the same hunt, 18 years and finally drew something. I’ll be going solo. There’s another TBher that drew same dates too

Comment

tough hunt. No baiting but plenty of WT up there. Look for a water hole. Good luck

Comment

this one always one of my top draws, havent drawn yet but wish you best of luck. post up a live hunt too

Comment

There are working windmills on every compartment I believe. Not a bad place to start. I saw some really nice bucks there. Wt and mulie

Comment

Yes. You can't go wrong in any pasture. Don't shy away from the open country. Find some high points with good visibility and glass, glass, glass. Take shooting sticks.

Definitely rattle time, just ensure long range visibility down wind.

Do not sit at waterholes or windmills as the Pease River offers water throughout.

There's whitetail everywhere, but higher percentage of mule deer in rougher country.

Good luck! Post update and results

Comment

Good Luck. That hunt is on my bucket list.

Comment

You cant go wrong with East A. Lots of good country to look over.

Comment

How did your hunt turn out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry..... totally forgot about the post. Me and my buddy both got a buck in Dogleg pasture. First morning I got mine on the river, 8 degrees. Buddy got his last morning. Great hunt... should have never sold that place... haha. I would post pictures but looks like I ain't smart enough.
                              Last edited by Ranchstroke; 01-29-2020, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X