BaseMap vs HuntStand vs Onx - Lost Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaseMap vs HuntStand vs Onx - Lost Hunter

First of all my prayers out to the lost hunter and his family and friends, horrible tragedy.

So I keep finding myself going back to the thread reading updates. There has been lots of good information share on there, some of which I already do, some I "sometimes do", and some I never do. Well I think I'm going to start being a little more prepared on some of the places I go that are a little sketchy or that lack cell service.

So, I've used Onx in the Mountains, honestly was not that thrilled with it. I've needed something similar in Texas on a few ranches I've been on at one point or another. I downloaded HuntStand App a few weeks ago on whim, and after playing with it a while I wasn't that pleased.

After reading a couple of post on that thread I downloaded BaseMap, and it seems legit.

What is the green screens opinion between the 3. Do you really need the premium package for Texas? What about Colorado?

And yes, I know your phone can die (I carry a battery pack with me on the mentioned ranches), and I know that I should carry a real compass and a GPS (I will probably start doing that).

I had the OnX but switched to Hunt Stand Pro. It have work great so far. I have been able to download maps to use when my phone don't have any service

Comment

Huntstand pro is the way to go. Cheaper as well.

Comment

I also switched from onX to HuntStand. Just found I liked the features better and the quality of images on maps seems to be way better when you’re zoomed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went to basemap from Onx. HuntStand looks legit too. That would be my second pick. I used OnX for years until this past year.

Comment

I’ve used onx for 4 years now and I haven’t had any qualms with it at all. I’ve had no reason to change as it does everything I want and need. Have used it in 6 states with and with and without cell service and never any issues. Curious what some of y’all’s complaints are about it?

Comment

Been using HuntStand for years still love it. Distances - way points - map objects

Comment

how do you "download" a map on HuntStand for offline use? Do you need the "Pro" version or does the free version work?

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  I’ve used onx for 4 years now and I haven’t had any qualms with it at all. I’ve had no reason to change as it does everything I want and need. Have used it in 6 states with and with and without cell service and never any issues. Curious what some of y’all’s complaints are about it?
                  I had moments when I knew I was not where Onx was telling me. I also struggled with features, and with downloading offline maps. I just didn't find it to be user friendly.

Comment

Does Huntstand provide landowner info like OnX?

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                      Does Huntstand provide landowner info like OnX?
                      Yes, the Pro-version does

Comment

Gaia user here. Tons of map types, landowner etc. I use it here in Texas and on trips out West.

Comment

Back country navigator and never go back.. no fees or any other hooks in your side and the app tiles and imagery library is 10x that of onx

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                            how do you "download" a map on HuntStand for offline use? Do you need the "Pro" version or does the free version work?
                            I don't remember if you need pro or not, but under the tools, scroll over to offline maps, select and pick downloaded map or choose to download new map

Comment

Another vote for HuntStand Pro here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X