Harvester Ants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvester Ants

Are they beneficial to the overall ecosystem? Should I kill harvester ant mounds when I see them or let them be? Any benefits for keeping them around? Just curious.

I’m in for comments. We have a ton of them on our place. I’ve always let them be, but now they have done a little damage to one of my buildings. They have a trail to every one of my feeders carrying corn off. That doesn’t really bother me, but just saying.

I personally think their purpose was to feed Horney Toads, but now we don’t have Horney Toads so they have become overpopulated.

Comment

I always heard they were bad for the quail population. I'm at my property this week and saw and hear alot of quail around my place. Before I go and destroy them all in an effort to restore quail, I was wondering if they serve a purpose before I kill. I would love to see more quail, but not if it has an adverse reaction to the ecosystem.

Comment

I doubt harvester ants (leaf cutters) do much damage to the quail population.

Fire ants on the other hand are a serious threat

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
          I always heard they were bad for the quail population. I'm at my property this week and saw and hear alot of quail around my place. Before I go and destroy them all in an effort to restore quail, I was wondering if they serve a purpose before I kill. I would love to see more quail, but not if it has an adverse reaction to the ecosystem.
          I heard opposite. Other way around, quail eat them???

Comment

Horned toads love to eat them. So that's one thing they're good for. I like horned toads so I don't mess with the ants.

Comment

Working...
            X