No announcement yet.

Modern Farmhouse Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very beautiful views and awesome home design.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
      Yup. My wife doesn’t really care for stone or brick. She really wanted board formed concrete for the non-stucco areas but that just wasn’t in the budget. So she settled on a dark grey concrete looking tile that we are going to install in a stacked bond pattern.

I installed some coroplast battens behind the durock to create a rain screen and facilitate draining should any water ever get back there. The tile will be horizontal, it’s just set there vertically for my wife to approve the stucco color.
      Gotcha! That will look good. You may want to waterproof your seams on that durock just to be extra safe. We do it on showers so it wouldn't hurt on this either I dont think. Especially since you dont have any soffits. Just my opinion as a builder.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

On that dura rock you may want to waterproof it, with customs “red guard” or mapie “aqua defense”

Concrete board is water “safe” but not water proof. It is basically a big sponge and will wick water to the closest evaporation place (inside walls, screws... into studs, ect)

Looking great though! Congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          On that dura rock you may want to waterproof it, with customs “red guard” or mapie “aqua defense”

Concrete board is water “safe” but not water proof. It is basically a big sponge and will wick water to the closest evaporation place (inside walls, screws... into studs, ect)

Looking great though! Congratulations
          Thanks, definitely had that concern so I've accounted for that by installing furring strips of coroplast to bring the durock off the wall, that way the "sponge" isn't in contact with the zip sheathing/framing at any location. Installing furring strips is best practice for applying any siding, just more important in my case since the Durock absorbs more water than other typical materials.

This air gap created by the coroplast battens will allow plenty of ventilation behind it and I've done more than a few tests on it to make sure it drains and it worked like a champ. I also included a strip of brillo pad type of material to act as a "bug screen" at the bottom to prevent ants and other small bugs from getting up there.

I used all stainless steel screws to attach the Durock to prevent them from rusting out from the moisture as well.

Comment

Is this in the Reserve at lake Travis? Place looks awesome!

Comment

Looking good so far!

Comment

Originally posted by b1gwes View Post
                Is this in the Reserve at lake Travis? Place looks awesome!
                Thanks. No its closer to town. Far west end of Oak Hill near the intersection of Circle Drive and Thomas Springs. We can see the backside of Spanish Oaks from our game room windows.

Comment

Work is crazy right now which has gotten me way behind schedule since I haven’t been able to stay on top of everything like I’d like to but I’m definitely happy with how things are turning out.

Stucco is pretty much done. “Freestyle” smooth finish sure is a pain for the stucco contractor since it doesn’t hide any imperfections for them but they knocked it out of the park.

The exterior wall tile is really kicking my butt but I’m super excited with how it’s looking. My wife has been helping out and my dad has been coming up on the weekends to help as well. Everything laid out and done with intention makes the little details look super sharp. Little things like the sconces being centered perfectly on tiles and a perfect grout joint hitting right at the top of the window might not get noticed by many but it’s little details like this that really make things look sharp. We also trimmed down the tiles over top of the window so “full” pieces line up across the window and there not a single column cut obviously shorter than any of the others. The back patio window hit perfect where we can have a grout joint right at the top and bottom of the window. I’m waiting on my Schluter corner trim to come in so I can miter the corners and really make things come together.

Hoping to get the tile around the garage door and down the wall to the front door completed this weekend. That will at least make me feel like the tile is more complete since that will more or less compete the front elevation.

Comment

Very unique design....I’m liking this more and more with each update. You guys are going to have a real gem on your hands. Congrats again!

Comment

Coming along great!!

Comment

Looks awesome. Good work by the family as well!

Comment

Your project is looking great, thank you for all of the updates and photos. Being in the commercial construction industry, I can truly appreciate your attention to detail as well as the push for a clean, safe site. Good luck with the remainder of the build.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                            Very unique design....I’m liking this more and more with each update. You guys are going to have a real gem on your hands. Congrats again!
                            Appreciate it! We've put a ton of work into it with a lot more ahead of us but we are starting to finally see it pay off as the finishes go up.

Originally posted by Bmaker8709 View Post
                            Your project is looking great, thank you for all of the updates and photos. Being in the commercial construction industry, I can truly appreciate your attention to detail as well as the push for a clean, safe site. Good luck with the remainder of the build.
                            Thanks. I take a lot of pride in have a clean, organized job site. I view it as something that takes no skill, only effort, and makes a project look 10 fold more professional.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Beautiful place and cool thread! Curious, did you consider using a Hardie product for the black lap look?

ac

Comment

Working...
                                X