2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    I'll be the first to admit I'm here for the fish, and fish first. Reports good or bad I still enjoy them, along with our Salty groups fishing pics. Really enjoy the kid pictures... definitely my favorite.

That being said this year is a very different animal, with our current events and harshest freeze for over 30 years just behind us things are obviously slow around here.

Sure appreciate you keeping up the moral Justin, definiely a little Flavor Flav in a salt less world for me at the moment.

Got word yesterday my boat has been pushed back to June, so I'll be living through you guys for a hot minute ( unless I get a wild hair and buy an interem boat so to speak).

I'm sure once the winds lay a touch and Mr. Winter finally leaves us alone we'll get rolling again.

Tight lines gents!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    This.

Other than Glenn most aren't chasing the fish yet. At least not the salty kind.

Crappy are hoarded up and closer to the hizzle

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ha, didn't mean to sound like I was complaining about stuff! Just seemed like way less reports so i was curious. I know it's the tough time of year.

I'm thinking about loading up and going down weekend after easter. Not going to haul the boat. If I go I will camp on the beach and try my luck in the surf or wading and pop a few tops unless I can bum a boat ride.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        Wildcard Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        She seems nice, vivacious personality, and I think she likes the outdoors but I think we need to wait for BoB to tell us if she’s hot

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
          She seems nice, vivacious personality, and I think she likes the outdoors but I think we need to wait for BoB to tell us if she’s hot

I sure he will have a problem of some sort.

Comment

Here's a little report from the weekend.

It's been anywhere from pretty good to pretty poor just depending on water level and wind. We had really low tides and they came back in late week last week which opened up some good opportunities for us to go catch redfish and drum. Friday I had 2 guys and they easily limited on reds and caught a good handful of trout and a couple drum mixed in. I had not been catching any trout there and was sure happy to see them. I really think they were moving in from the gulf on the big tide. That was in East Matagorda Bay. We mainly caught our fish on live shrimp under Coastal corks and a few on Bass Assassin paddletails in roach color on 1/8 oz heads. Saturday morning it was really pretty and the redfish all but dissapeared. Or at least the keepers did. The wind was really howling and we ended up catching 4 or 5 keeper reds and a drum or two and called it quits early. The bite has been dying about 11 am for me and like clockwork it went dead early. We just fished with shrimp under Coastal Corks saturday. Then we ran a bachelor party group. They wanted pulls and wanted to grill fish for dinner. They had booked an offshore trip that got blown out and so my buddy Bink Grimes, Hunter Saha and myself took them on an inshore trip. They had fun and drank pretty much everything in the boat. We had a big bull tide so we slid up on some mud and shell in about 18" of water and went to work on some drum and redfish. We ended up with a nice mess of black drum and a few reds mixed in all caught on live shrimp under corks. All in all it was a great weekend. Lots of catch and release going on with a box of drum and a few redfish taken in for dinner.

The new boat did real well. I fished groups of 2, 4 and 4 and had no issues. Plenty of space, rides great, got into some pretty skinny stuff and hopped back up with no problems. I'm pretty impressed. It'll catch fish. First fish caught in the boat I caught a 25" redfish friday morning on it's first charter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              I sure he will have a problem of some sort.

Hahaha 😂

Comment

[emoji23]

Comment

Great report Glenn! Thanks & that is one NICE boat!

Comment

Keep the pics coming! Trying to plan vacation now and work in an ocean perch trip! Maybe take little man on a catch and release shark trip!

Comment

Many of you can remember the Mirrolure dog craze era? ...aka Top Dog, She Dog, He Dog etc were what everyone wanted. Someone made one called the Reservoir Dog. I might give this one a shot this weekend. Its deserves to get wet after all these years.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's pretty cool. Neat paint job, I bet it'll work.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          Many of you can remember the Mirrolure dog craze era? ...aka Top Dog, She Dog, He Dog etc were what everyone wanted. Someone made one called the Reservoir Dog. I might give this one a shot this weekend. Its deserves to get wet after all these years.
                          Please don't tell my She Dogs and She Pups that they were part of an era that has ended. They don't know it and are still hard at work.

Years ago I got to try the prototypes of the She Dog before they came out. One of the color patterns of the prototype She Dogs we got was black with a red head. Melvin Talasek had Mirrolure make some up in black with a chartreuse head for us and they were a huge hit. We named it the Dennis Rodman.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                            Please don't tell my She Dogs and She Pups that they were part of an era that has ended. They don't know it and are still hard at work.

Years ago I got to try the prototypes of the She Dog before they came out. One of the color patterns of the prototype She Dogs we got was black with a red head. Melvin Talasek had Mirrolure make some up in black with a chartreuse head for us and they were a huge hit. We named it the Dennis Rodman.
                            Cool! I believe I have 2-3 prototypes of the Top Dog in my collection before they went full production.

When Rapala followed suite with the skitterwalk....their Black/Chartruese head was my go to topwaters as sun was rising or setting or at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post

I sat up all night with Melvin one night on their big overnight boat talking about the work he did with Mirrorlure on the She Dogs and catching fish on top water in general. He was a wealth of information and I learned a couple of things that night that changed the way I fish topwaters to this day.

Comment

I got to fish the Top Dog before they came out too but I wasn't as taken with it. At that time we were throwing a lot of Producer's Ghosts and they were dirt cheap and worked well. I wasn't as crazy about the Top Dog. It sat low, wasn't loud and didn't work as well. The She Dog was shortened, was lighter and floated higher and was much louder. They got it right with the She Dog including heavy split rings and good hooks which was not the norm. Back at that time a good friend of mine was the factory rep for Mirrolure and he use to get us new stuff to try all the time. And use to get us colors we wanted added to the lineup. Stuff like that. He's still in the business still and is currently the factory rep for Bass Assassin which is a big reason why I use Bass Assassin soft plastics even now.

I use to take the Ghost, drill a hole in it and add BBs to it and then plug the hole with epoxy. I'd also slam them nose down repeatedly on a hard surface breaking the little divider out that held the big metal ball bearing in the tail giving it the louder knocking sound. You ruined a few but they use to cost us like $1.79 so I didn't care. The result was a lure with a loud thump and a higher pitched rattle too.

Comment

Working...
                                X