Another Browning A5 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Browning A5 question

I'm probably an idiot, but I can't seem to find the decoder ring for the date stamp I have on my grandfather's Browning A5. The small "60" is throwing me off. Anyone have an idea of where to find it or the date the shotgun was made?
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    Small font 60
    Large font 26048
    Attached Files

https://www.browning.com/support/dat...c-shotgun.html

not much help, sorry. Any better pics?

Comment

need more pics , preferably of both sides of the receiver, stock and cheek piece. I-net research indicates it is likely a FN European catalogued shotgun, never imported by Browning. The small number 60, indicates it was made in 1960, and serial numbered by FN as part of their high grade series shotguns. If it has the original butt plate, hardware, and finish, that shotgun could be worth some nice money

Comment

I believe it is all original hardware. My grandfather was stationed in Europe with the Airforce at the time it was purchased I believe. Butt plate is plastic with FN in the middle and Browning and Automatic on on the edges. I'll try to get more pics, but these are what I have handy.
        Attached Files

Comment

CB - Thanks for the replies so far.

Comment

more 411 info from the i-net ....

Acier Special means "special steel". C 12 designates it as a 12 gauge, obvious since it is labelled Light Twelve on the recvr. From the markings on the barrel it is not a Browning, but rather it is a shotgun made by FN in Belgium for sale outside the USA. The shotgun was marketed to international customers. They were not officially imported or sold in the US. American soldiers stationed in Europe often times purchased and brought them back from overseas. Mechanically it is the same as the Browning A-5 but may have some differences in the finish. That FN is very clean !

Comment

Blake - thanks for the info. It was driving me nuts I couldn't figure it out on the Browning site. She's pretty much a safe queen anyhow. She has a small nick on the butt stock and tiny bit of discoloring on the end of the barrel. Other than that she is in super good shape. I am getting a JP Sauer SXS soon as well. I don't know if you know much about them, but your i-net 411 sleuthing is pretty good. I might hit you up if I get stuck on that one.

Comment

For those that may care or find it interesting - My Grandfather purchased this gun in 1960 at the Bitburg Rod and Gun Club in Germany for $65. My uncle says her saw the receipt. I really wish he would have saved it, but I think he threw it away. It would have been cool to have the receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by js4242 View Post
                  For those that may care or find it interesting - My Grandfather purchased this gun in 1960 at the Bitburg Rod and Gun Club in Germany for $65. My uncle says her saw the receipt. I really wish he would have saved it, but I think he threw it away. It would have been cool to have the receipt.
                  That price sounds about right. My dad bought a Browning Sweet 16 Belgium vent rib in 1968 for $159.00. The Fabrique Nationale would have been priced significantly less because of its year, location purchased, and sold to a US soldier. That is a true family heirloom

Comment

That sure is cool. I’m glad you ended up with it!

Comment

Working...
                    X