Vortex Guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex Guy?

Who was the Greenscreen's Vortex expert? Looking to buy a couple of scopes and looking to get some advice.

If anyone wants to weigh in this is what I'm looking for.

The primary scope I need will be going on a Bergara Premier HMR in 6.5 PRC. I want a higher end hunting scope with Turrets (at least for elevation). The rifle is already heavy so I don't really want to put a huge scope on it, but I know it won't be small either. I've always been a fan of 50MM scopes. I am not really into long range shooting, but this rifle should be more than capable of it so I don't really want to limit the rifle because of the scope. Budget for this would be about $2K give or take.

The next scope will be going on a AR Platform 224 Valkryie. I'm debating if I want turrets or not on it. This will be primarily a varmint rifle and my kids may end up shooting a few deer with it when they come of age. Slightly less of a budget on this one, but don't want to go cheap either. maybe $1200 ish.

The 3rd will be going on a AR Platform 6.5CM. Leaning more towards the first scope I described for this set up.

Overall I'd like to keep it as simple as possible, but still capable. I don't want to look through a reticle that looks like a Christmas tree.
    Last edited by Hockley; 04-08-2021, 01:06 PM.

Arrowsmith is the gentleman that you're looking to contact

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
      Arrowsmith is the gentleman that you're looking to contact
      x2

Comment

For the HMR Premier I’d look at the Razor AMG 624, and both AR platforms I’d consider the same optic. The PSTII 2-10x32. Obviously preference has something to do with it, but that’s what I’d be looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
          For the HMR Premier I’d look at the Razor AMG 624, and both AR platforms I’d consider the same optic. The PSTII 2-10x32. Obviously preference has something to do with it, but that’s what I’d be looking at.
          That AMG looks to be more than I'm wanting to spend! What makes the PSII so attractive on the AR platform?

Does anyone have the Razor HD LHT?

Comment

I have the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 MOA reticle mounted on a 6 Creedmoor. Light and compact and clear. If you use the zero stop turret that comes with it you'll be limited to about 1100yrds max using factory Hornady ELDM or ELDX ammo on the 6.5 PRC. If that's not an issue then it'd be a solid scope for your setup. I really like the MOA reticle. It's not busy and has a dot then clear space around it then the MOA hashmarks. Very clean and visible. And it has illuminated dot for low light and full moon pig hunting. Get hold of Arrowsmith on here and I'll let him know you're shopping. He may have couple other suggestions but for your setup on Bergara this would complement the gun well i believe.

As for the 6.5CM AR I'd do same setup on scope. Only thing is you'll be limited to about 1000yds depending on elevation where you shoot.
            Last edited by splitbeam145; 04-09-2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

buy something else

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                buy something else
                I'm not married to Vortex, but for the money I think it is the best option.

I think I am leaning towards the Razor HD LHT for all of my scopes. I'm still considering on the target models for the HMR, but I think I will start with the LHT.

Now comes the question of Mils vs MOA which I'm clueless on. I think I'm going to try both the 42MM and the 50MM options and it appears the 50MM only comes in the MIL option. I'm assuming I just need to learn one and keep all my setups the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                  That AMG looks to be more than I'm wanting to spend! What makes the PSII so attractive on the AR platform?

Does anyone have the Razor HD LHT?
                  The Razor HD LHT is a nice optic. My preference leans towards the 2-10 for the lower base mag and the reticle choices. The HD LHT will have slightly better glass, and (I’m assuming) draw in more light.

Also the AMG is pretty easy to pick up for $1500-1700 used, which with Vortex’s warranty is as good as a new optic. You said a $2K budget, which is why I recommended it. Personally I won’t pay new Vortex prices when a used optic will be replaced if there are any issues. I’ve owned a lot of Razors (likely 20 or more) over the years with the majority of them being used. No issues going this way yet.
                  Last edited by TX03RUBI; 04-13-2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                    I'm not married to Vortex, but for the money I think it is the best option.

I think I am leaning towards the Razor HD LHT for all of my scopes. I'm still considering on the target models for the HMR, but I think I will start with the LHT.

Now comes the question of Mils vs MOA which I'm clueless on. I think I'm going to try both the 42MM and the 50MM options and it appears the 50MM only comes in the MIL option. I'm assuming I just need to learn one and keep all my setups the same?
                    You might as well learn on MILS now if you don’t have a preference one way or another yet. They both do the same thing, and they do it equally as well. MILS has more options these days, and should you decide to sell it down the road they sell faster as well as hold their value better. Nothing to do with quality just they’re in more demand.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      The Razor HD LHT is a nice optic. My preference leans towards the 2-10 for the lower base mag and the reticle choices. The HD LHT will have slightly better glass, and (I’m assuming) draw in more light.

Also the AMG is pretty easy to pick up for $1500-1700 used, which with Vortex’s warranty is as good as a new optic. You said a $2K budget, which is why I recommended it. Personally I won’t pay new Vortex prices when a used optic will be replaced if there are any issues. I’ve owned a lot of Razors (likely 20 or more) over the years with the majority of them being used. No issues going this way yet.
                      Thank you for the input on both this and MILS vs MOA.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                        buy something else
                        Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                        X