Turkey Hunting East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Hunting East Texas

Has anyone hunted turkeys with any success in the East Texas counties that allow it? Looks like I probably struck out on the draw hunts so I'm researching other options.

Never have but want to try Sabine national forest

Comment

Following, i've been looking up places to try out there.

Comment

Im planning on getting a call and walking around my timber company lease in the spring just to see what shows up

Comment

Always wanted to try hunting in east texas

Comment

Originally posted by rednecktbrizz7 View Post
            Never have but want to try Sabine national forest
            I tried there last spring, many hunters calling poorly. Saw one bird running from a caller. But I only went once. If you try good luck. I am looking for another place not too far from Houston as am stuck here for a while.

Comment

Been wanting to try myself.

Comment

I was on a lease by toledo bend dam when i got mine. Only 2 times i ever tried it i wss successful. Secret was to move. If a gobbler called back i would move towards it and call again. When we started getting close id stsy put whike he searched. I was around 3-4 yr old clear cuts working the trees along crerk beds

Comment

Sry from my cell phone.

Comment

Originally posted by JHarrell89 View Post
                    Im planning on getting a call and walking around my timber company lease in the spring just to see what shows up
                    You would be better off getting out there before daylight and see if you can hear any gobblin before they come off roost. The experience I've had and the same as my brother, once a Tom hits the ground, they become silent. Last year my brother located 5 birds while on roost. Once they flew down, he said they gobbled maybe 2 or 3 times and that was it. He stayed put, fell asleep against the tree, and when he woke up later, he had a jake and a Tom out in front of him. He shot the Tom. I went a few days later in the same area and heard nothing. After about an hour after daylite, I had 2 Jakes come in behind me. I let them pass, but never heard a gobble that morning. This was on public land. Same place I killed my first Eastern a few years ago. If you can catch them when they are hot and heavy, it's a blast. But most part, they remain quite.

Comment

Agree with Sqiggy. Hunting public land for Easterns is fun but can be a little crowded.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                        Hunting public land for Easterns is fun but can be a little crowded.
                        Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, but Grasshopper, if you know where to go, you will never run into another hunter!!!
                        The place I go, the way in is not on the map. Locals know about it. That's how I found it out. My brother is a local!!!

Comment

I live in the metroplex and I'm just saying to heck with it - I'm going SE Oklahoma in the spring.

Comment

I took a nice eastern last year on public land and im seeing them again, i counted 24 birds the other day and seen 5 shooter gobblers and a couple jakes

Comment

Working...
                            X