What “ Non-Game” Birds Have You Eaten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What “ Non-Game” Birds Have You Eaten?

Sitting here on the back porch looking at the lake and having coffee this morning watching Robins in the yard reminds me of my childhood and different birds that ended up in the gumbo pot. Being raised a coon arse “ if it flew it was for stew”. In the winter time when the robins showed up it was game on and to us they tasted just like dove. But living in the rice belt back then the flocks of black birds or rice birds would darken the sky in waves and you could easily kill 20 with one blast of a shotgun. We kept the freezer full and would always have black bird gumbo.

Laid a pipeline in southern Louisiana in then late 80’s a local guy had issues with woodpeckers at his house he brought in gumbo one day really good i asked what was in it yep woodpeckers

Comment

Pigeons were Always a target of opportunity while dove hunting and were good eating. Also tried meadowlark a few times, and it was ok. Best I had though was crow!

Comment

My fave is chicken

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
          Pigeons were Always a target of opportunity while dove hunting and were good eating. Also tried meadowlark a few times, and it was ok. Best I had though was crow!
          Never had pigeon or crow but we would wear out the field larks and eat them with the black birds.

Comment

This thread read backwards says...

Innerwebs game warden come to my house

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Pigeons. That's really the only thing that's legal to shoot besides starlings and sparrows.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                My fave is chicken
                This made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  This thread read backwards says...

Innerwebs game warden come to my house

Keep in mind I’m speaking of an era when it was legal. Not now. My taste has evolved anyway.

Comment

I love me a good Eurasian breast wrapped in the regular jalapeño, onion and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      Pigeons. That's really the only thing that's legal to shoot besides starlings and sparrows.

Eurasian/ringnecked dove.

Comment

They changed the rules a few years ago, but there's still a depredation order in effect for crows, pigeons, starlings and a few other non-game species. Iff'n they're stealing pecans from your trees one could conceivably end up in cast iron bubbling in a gravy.
                        Last edited by Montec man; 04-30-2022, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                          Keep in mind I’m speaking of an era when it was legal. Not now. My taste has evolved anyway.
                          Oh, then I digress. And I'm not that well, seasoned ?

I have heard on many occasions Robin is fine table fare

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                            Cowbirds

Comment

There’s also lots of game birds that people scoff at that I find taste just as good as any other bird.

Comment

Working...
                              X