Gulf Coast Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gulf Coast Boat

I have the chance to acquire a 1998 Gulf Coast 200 HS from a family member. This boat has been in the family and mostly sitting for the last 10 years. From what I understand, this boat is all composite. It does have some flex in the transom when pushing on the powerhead - is this normal or an issue? The motor is a 1998 Yamaha 2 stroke 150 non-oil injected motor. It throws an alarm after about 10 minutes of running. I assume this has to be an overheat alarm since no oil injection. The tell tale is pushing good water pressure and is not excessively hot. When it does this, it limits the rpm and starts shaking like crazy when applying throttle. Is this the safe mode of the engine causing this?

I appreciate any advice y'all have to offer on this! I am just wanting to make sure this isn't a money pit before I take the boat.

The flex is a red flag. I've never seen a transom flex that you can see on a solid transom.

Comment

Not sure what your budget is but I know of a very well taken care of pathfinder for sale at a very reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
        Not sure what your budget is but I know of a very well taken care of pathfinder for sale at a very reasonable price.

I’m interested. Send a pm if you don’t mind.

Comment

Any flex in a transom and I’m out. I’m sure the motor can be fixed, but after 10 years of sitting it could be very costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a money pit. Not sure which part is worse... the transom flex or the 10 years of sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
              Sounds like a money pit. Not sure which part is worse... the transom flex or the 10 years of sitting.
              This x1000, don’t walk away…RUN!!! There really is not a boat that is bulletproof or perfect for every application, that being said buying one with a known issue can lead to someone breaking the bank trying to keep that boat on the water. Plenty of good used boats on the market and given time a good deal will surface among staff the crazy priced sleds out there.

Comment

hard pass on the flex. I used to fish one a family friend had at their bay house and was never really that impressed with it other than hole shot. It just didnt handle rough water well for 22 foot

that pathfinder would be a MUCH better option.

Comment

Transom flex would be a big NO for me. Been there done that a long time ago.
                  Like pouring gas on a fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    hard pass on the flex. I used to fish one a family friend had at their bay house and was never really that impressed with it other than hole shot. It just didnt handle rough water well for 22 foot

that pathfinder would be a MUCH better option.
                    Agree and I don’t remember the early models being all composite, thought they had some wood like everybody else.

Comment

Flexing the transformers bad the engine's going into limp mode, both problems are going to cost you serious money even if you do those yourself the carburetor kits are going to cost you about 150 bucks each and you'd still have to fix the overheating problem, sounds like it runs until it starts getting warm

Comment

another FLEX ******

Comment

Where is this boat at.. pics??

Comment

Originally posted by Blessed to hunt View Post
                            Flexing the transformers bad the engine's going into limp mode, both problems are going to cost you serious money even if you do those yourself the carburetor kits are going to cost you about 150 bucks each and you'd still have to fix the overheating problem, sounds like it runs until it starts getting warm

Probably thermostats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10 years sitting. Impeller for sure. Thermostats, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X