Electric tankless water heater size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric tankless water heater size?

For the cabin at our property Im going to put in an electric tankless. Ive seen all the good and bad reviews about electric vs gas, but we dont have gas out there yet and not planning on it. Also, since we are only there a few days/month, i like not having a tank either full of water or keeping it hot. Now thats out of the way, wanted to get opinions on size and brands. Like reviews, their ability ratings are all over the place. I was looking at the Stiebel Eltron 15K. Seems to be the right size and has great reviews. Next choice would be an 18K Rheem. Cabin has 1 bathroom and a kitchen. Im guessing we wont be doing dishes while showering anyway. Thoughts from others that have similar setups?

I have 3 Naviens. 1 in Barndo apt and 2 in house.

In apt we can take 2 showers at same time and never miss a beat on hot water. Mine are all LP gas but love them. I'm not sure on size .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

We had a big Stiebel Eltron in our last house for 22 years and no problems. However when I started the living quarters in my shop I put in a Rudd. It had the best ratings of them all and you can get them at HD. I bought the middle one out of 5 sizes and it has worked well the last 2 1/2 years. I bought 2 more of them to put in my new house I'm building.

Comment

Got a Eemaxx 240 15kw that lasted 11 years at the lease without ever being flushed or maintained, I just replaced it with the exact same one for 675.00. The only thing you need to do is make sure you pull out the guts on shower heads and faucets so it lets plenty flow through, keeps the water heater from cutting on and off. I’ve got shower and kitchen and never run out of hot water.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
          We had a big Stiebel Eltron in our last house for 22 years and no problems. However when I started the living quarters in my shop I put in a Rudd. It had the best ratings of them all and you can get them at HD. I bought the middle one out of 5 sizes and it has worked well the last 2 1/2 years. I bought 2 more of them to put in my new house I'm building.
          Doesnt look like HD sells them anymore. Not listed on their website anyway

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
            Doesnt look like HD sells them anymore. Not listed on their website anyway

You can still order them from many places… the whole house versions are called “Tempra Plus” and “Tempra Trend”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
              You can still order them from many places… the whole house versions are called “Tempra Plus” and “Tempra Trend”

Thats the stiebel I was looking it. I was replying about the Ruud. Dont see them listed

Comment

Refer to manufactures charts for sizing, it takes incoming water temp and number of outlets into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Refer to manufactures charts for sizing, it takes incoming water temp and number of outlets into consideration.

Yup...inlet water temp is a big factor. I have a small EcoSmart 11 in our shop living quarters. We have 2 sinks, dishwasher, shower and washing machine. It does all we need and can provide continuous hot water at up to 2.6 gallons per minute which is perfect for us to take a shower just so long as no one else is washing dishes or running the washing machine. We just have to manage it.
                  I also installed a low flow regulator on our shower head that restricts the gallons per minute down which is much needed especially in the winter when inlet water is colder.

OP, that size unit should be fine for your needs. You just may have to plan for your usage.
                  Tankless WHs are designed pretty simple. They need to be big enough to give the inlet water time to run across the coils and heat up before exiting at the temps and flow (gpm) you need.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                    Yup...inlet water temp is a big factor. I have a small EcoSmart 11 in our shop living quarters. We have 2 sinks, dishwasher, shower and washing machine. It does all we need and can provide continuous hot water at up to 2.6 gallons per minute which is perfect for us to take a shower just so long as no one else is washing dishes or running the washing machine. We just have to manage it.
                    I also installed a low flow regulator on our shower head that restricts the gallons per minute down which is much needed especially in the winter when inlet water is colder.

OP, that size unit should be fine for your needs. You just may have to plan for your usage.
                    Tankless WHs are designed pretty simple. They need to be big enough to give the inlet water time to run across the coils and heat up before exiting at the temps and flow (gpm) you need.
                    Thanks. The charts dont always answer everything and there are many, many reviews that say certain ones dont perform near what the chart states. I was hoping to be able to use an 11-15K so i dont have to run another line into the shop from the main power pole.

Comment

You would be surprised how long a propane grill bottle will run your tankless gas heater. When we built out house we had to wait for the big propane tank was installed so I just hooked up a grill bottle, advise from the propane dealer, and it lasted almost a month.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                        You would be surprised how long a propane grill bottle will run your tankless gas heater. When we built out house we had to wait for the big propane tank was installed so I just hooked up a grill bottle, advise from the propane dealer, and it lasted almost a month.

That was our experience as well, 2 adults and 2 kids,

1 bathroom and running the dishwasher every night, we did about 3 weeks on a 20lb propane tank until we got our big tank hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                          That was our experience as well, 2 adults and 2 kids,

1 bathroom and running the dishwasher every night, we did about 3 weeks on a 20lb propane tank until we got our big tank hooked up.

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post

Never woulda guessed!

Comment

My apologies, it was the Rheem brand.

Comment

How much exhaust do these put out? Would i need to run the exhaust outside the shop? Reason i am asking is that this is for a 24x30 'apartment' built inside of a 50x30 shop. Was planning on mounting the heater on the outside wall of apartment (so inside of the 'barn/shop' area) Im no opposed to the idea of running off of a 20gal tank since that will save a lot of power requirement it seems.

Comment

Working...
                              X