X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
    Not yet

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    We use live scope on my buddies boat and there are many times we have seen giants on Lake Austin, Lake Travis, and many of these lakes around here in central Texas and have thrown dang near the whole tackle box at those fish only for them to descend to the bottom and to not be seen again. More often then not I will add and it can be very frustrating..What if all this technology only makes these fish smarter to a certain degree? While I think there will be more big ones caught, I don’t think they will be caught as much as you tend to think with the repetition of lures that they potentially could see and slowly educate these fish. Those fish for one don’t get that big being stupid, some of these fish in our lakes go an entire lifetime without ever being caught and could have seen numerous lures go by. Like mentioned above, Ivey is setup perfect for these conditions right now, and while I don’t love the live scope for the sport of fishing and what’s potential to come, I do think you still have to make that fish bite which is no easy task.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandito10 View Post
      We use live scope on my buddies boat and there are many times we have seen giants on Lake Austin, Lake Travis, and many of these lakes around here in central Texas and have thrown dang near the whole tackle box at those fish only for them to descend to the bottom and to not be seen again. More often then not I will add and it can be very frustrating..What if all this technology only makes these fish smarter to a certain degree? While I think there will be more big ones caught, I don’t think they will be caught as much as you tend to think with the repetition of lures that they potentially could see and slowly educate these fish. Those fish for one don’t get that big being stupid, some of these fish in our lakes go an entire lifetime without ever being caught and could have seen numerous lures go by. Like mentioned above, Ivey is setup perfect for these conditions right now, and while I don’t love the live scope for the sport of fishing and what’s potential to come, I do think you still have to make that fish bite which is no easy task.

Over time all the fish will turn into “park fish”. There is a park near my house that I have personally caught 2 bass over 8lbs, and I’ve seen an 11 pulled out. This park pond has every brand, and every type of lure thrown into it all day everyday. The fish will almost never bite artificial now. Every large bass I’ve seen caught have been with what I would call unconventional means. The fish catch on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm a beneficiary of livescope so I got zero reasons to butter anyone's bread. Truth is, in the right hands, livescope is a very unfair advantage for those willing to put the hours in learning how to use it. Some are willing to invest money with guides to shorten that learning curve and some will spend thousands of dollars and give up before they ever get proficient with it. It's much tougher with bass than crappie but still allows fishermen to specifically target bigger fish.

I guide for crappie with LS and can say that the amount of fish harvested is definitely growing but I don't see lakes struggling for numbers and i fish a lot of lakes each year. You can bet TPWD is keeping a close eye on it too. One thing I have started to take issue with is folks going out and only keeping 14" plus fish so that they can show off a table full of giants. Fun fishing, I keep what I need and will put back the bigger breeder fish if i know theyll survive. I also do my best to convince clients to do the same. The issue I see is a lot of those getting into this know nothing of being a sportsman. Lots of inconsiderate folks on the water and that carries over to wanting to be the guy to post pics of a table full of 2lb fish. That, to me, is what will hurt the sport.

Most of the folks who are spending thousands of dollars would be best served just booking a few trips a year because they won't ever spend the time to learn the nuances and the boat will eventually sit in the driveway or the garage. One thing I'm fairly sure of though is that the crappie populations will continue to thrive. They're prolific spawners and they will evolve with the technology. We already see it on some lakes as the fish get smarter. Hell we educated the crappie in 24 hours at the Mr Crappie Expo on the Red River last year. Literally 1 day of prefishing and we saw a huge difference in the fishes behaviors. Only big change I would like to see is slot limits to keep the non sportsmen from targeting boxes full of big fish. Let the big girls spread their genetics so our children and grandchildren will still have the same opportunities to catch big fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandito10 View Post
          Josh Jones seems to be pretty good at it. Maybe you can get some lesson from him. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
          Seriously tho, IMO It's going to catch on and folks will get better at it. Your right to an extent that these fish feel pressure and won't bite ...for a time. Eventually they have to eat. However, fish aren't smart. Their not figuring out that people have some new technology and they have to outsmart it and hide from them. Heck, they don't even know you're trying to catch them. They act purely on instincts. When they feel pressure or threatened they move or seek cover and become inactive as a defense mechanism. No logic involved, only instincts to survive. But eventually they have to eat to survive so they will go into feeding mode to survive. If they are constantly able to be located by the 100's of boats that will be looking for them with tech that allows them to be found like never before, they will be eventually located while actively feeding and will be caught. I'm not saying it's all happening right now, but it's headed that way and fast. Technology and the anglers use of it is only getting better. As more anglers learn to use it properly (and thanks to social media, they will) it will put pressure on these big fish like never before.
          I could be wrong...but so could you.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great fish for both of them.

I have actually watched some of the YouTube videos that the young guy has put out. Seems very knowledgeable but that is coming from somebody that goes with a guide to fish. I have never owned a boat and just bought kayaks last year to start learning to fish.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
              dont understand why this is a bad idea. Congrats to those who are able to catch and release trophy fish like this. once in a lifetime catch. Nice to hear of other lakes beside Fork producing these.
              Well unfortunately for this fish. It will now live in a fish tank.

Comment

I've had livescope about 6 months after it came out. It has definitely changed fishing. Fish that were never touched only by few fisherman are being caught by below average fisherman. I know especially in the crappie world where most people put brush out and just fish brush would catch alot of crappie. Now with livescope its a whole different world. Its the same way with bass fishing. I know side image was great but most people struggled to understand it. It will definitely hurt the crappie fishing because it already started. And for bass i believe it will hurt it too. These fish used to be able to go off shore and get a break not any more. Sight fishing in 30 ft of water

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

But if rattlesnakes can learn not to rattle since because the hogs will eat them, cant fish learn not to bite the fake bait? Or like the infamous big black cat that magically avoids having its picture taken by all the game cameras and being shot by all the hunters in the woods?
                  There will always be something out there to make it easier for those that "cant", its the way of the dollar.

Comment

Parks and Wildlife is the reason these big fish are in that lake. I had a conversation with a TPWD employee on Sunday in Matagorda about this exact topic. He was part of stocking the fingerlings that are now being caught. Facebook and cell phones will cause much more harm than the actual livescope. Most all of these fish are released. I'm fairly certain that anyone targeting bass with a livescope has plenty ability to catch a more desired eating fish or buy something at the store. As for the crappie, I agree that something may have to be done.

Comment

Just watched some YouTube videos on livescope, I had no idea that technology existed. Kinda takes the sport out of fishing and turns it into a video game.

Comment

I bet a 13lb bass has some nice sized filets.... yumm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          Yep. Same goes for the fancy guns, with fancy scopes covered in fancy knobs and electric range finding powers and all the rest of the bells and whistles. Oh and the 1,000 yard "muzzle loaders" that are being used these days.

That's my thought as well. I won't cast stones until I am
                          1) Hunting with a bow / arrow / arrowhead I have built myself
                          2) Fishing with a man made spear

Technology comes and goes. For the most part (at least bass) I personally have not seen damage to the industry (they return most/all these fish). Saying this, I share your underlying frustration with the perception this gear is leading to more traffic of inept outdoors folks... like the coastal fishing I now enjoy, the overrun with weekenders all on the water who don't know yet how to run a boat safely.
                          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce16 View Post
                            But if rattlesnakes can learn not to rattle since because the hogs will eat them, cant fish learn not to bite the fake bait? Or like the infamous big black cat that magically avoids having its picture taken by all the game cameras and being shot by all the hunters in the woods?
                            There will always be something out there to make it easier for those that "cant", its the way of the dollar.
                            We witnessed what the pressure does to fish at the Mr Crappie Invitational on the Red River. Day 1 of prefishing, you could park on top of them in 10ft of water and they wouldn't move. On day 2 they stayed on bottom and didn't bite nearly as easily. Those fish were educated in a hurry. Sure there were fish still caught but they will evolve to be harder to find and catch. Still, crappie are such prolific spawners, it's going to be very difficult to put much of a hurting on the populations

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                              I bet a 13lb bass has some nice sized filets.... yumm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                              I wouldn't be surprised if them Cajuns on Toledo know how they taste

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                                Just watched some YouTube videos on livescope, I had no idea that technology existed. Kinda takes the sport out of fishing and turns it into a video game.
                                It is a video game of sorts. The common misconception though is that it is easy. I've watched a lot of folks who thought it was plug n play where fish just jumped in the livewell. That's is far from the case. It requires a lot of hours to get really proficient with it. I had probably 1000 or more hours before I felt like it became cheating. Most will never put in that type of commitment. It isn't just learning the technology. You have to learn boat control and bait presentation as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X