Selling coon pelts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
    I am with this guy. Throw corn in the woods and all animals will come eat it, not just the almighty whitetail deer. Kill then all because they are destructive… really?
    I don't care if they eat corn or protein tbh, but I always knock them back before turkey nesting season, same as coyotes before fawns start dropping. They breed right back so there is only so much you can do, but I'd rather have a bunch of 1 year old coons running around than the big ones

Comment

i have my trapper license and you may get 8-12 with 8.00 or a little less more the normal the problem is they just dont get the thick fur like up north occasionally you will get a big boar that has a nice pelt. hands down the best trap is the duke dogproof trap i used to use duke number 2.5 but upgraded to duke 550 with offset jaws and night latch they are already tuned. i got quite a few bobcat last year and a few fox even then the price per pelt is way down. in all honesty trapping is almost not worth the effort in my opinion unless you are craft oriented such as coonskin hats texas toothpick euro mounts of coons and such the tails can bring 5 bucks at flea markets real hats from coonskin not trying to discourage its just the market is weak in the south compared to the north. ill find a price list for you

Comment

You are viewing an older fur market forecast. Click here for the 2021-2022 Trapping Today Fur Market Update and Forecast. Overview There just isn’t anything good to say about the fur market going into the 2020-2021 trapping season. The confluence of an oversupply of ranched fur, soft demand due to slowing economies in China and […]

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
          I don't care if they eat corn or protein tbh, but I always knock them back before turkey nesting season, same as coyotes before fawns start dropping. They breed right back so there is only so much you can do, but I'd rather have a bunch of 1 year old coons running around than the big ones
          That makes a bit more sense than just wiggin out that another critter dare eats corn laying on the ground. The east Texas wild turkey population will never get off the ground in certain parts due to ground predators of which coons are included. Maybe I am just soar… as a kid back east many years ago I remember $30 to even (rare) $40 a good prime coon pelt. This was back when $40 was a lot of money. The very first dollar I ever earned was selling a muskrat pelt for $8. Back then some money could really make a few dollars running a trap line before and after school. But I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
            I think you mean 30-35 years ago is when they would bring $35. They haven't brought more than $8 in north central Texas in the last 20 years. Time flies
            No this was around 2008. I heard of a few bobcats that sold for $400 but the most I ever got was $275. Got upwards to $50 a coyote. But we have the best fur of anywhere in Oklahoma. The further North you go the better it's going to be. That was mostly for animals on the carcass. I could have got more out of fleshed,stretched and dried pelts.

Now days I'd be lucky to get $125 for a nice bobcat. The only thing that's stayed pretty consistent is coyotes.
            Last edited by okrattler; 11-23-2021, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I'm with smart on this one ,save the turkeys kill the coons ,corn eating mean little ,ya know

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
                Those shark teeth just give the coons better traction up a protein feeder

Yup… I tried them. They worked for a few weeks or so I thought. Coons then started using them for added traction to get to my poor varmint guard at the time. Remedied that real quick. They are now laying in our dump along with that ****ty varmint guard.

Comment

Working...
                X