East Texas help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas help needed

Need help brothers and sisters of the green screen.

I'm failing as an east Texas hunter / land manager; I learned a lot and applied it very successfully on our large south/west Texas lease but this small east Texas place I bought is kicking my tail. I know I may just need to be patient and wait for my plan to produce but based on my cameras (feeders, food plots, scrapes and rubs) I feel like the place is worse than when I started, literally thousands of $ spent and hundreds of man/equipment hours later. Very frustrating!

2015:
    I had a 9 to 1 buck to doe ratio on our place.
    I had 4 regular shooters in the 130-140 class 5+ yo and a lot of young potential bucks in 2015.

2018:
    Now no shooters, only young guys and my potential has gone down (as if, my good genetics left and crappy genetics replaced it)
    We have taken 7 hogs off place and one scrub buck last year. Before that I only worked it and left it alone.
    One neighbor hunts - shoots only hair and could care less about horns but only takes 1 doe per year. The road gets 2-3 per year in my general area. No sign of illness in my herd. A lot of twins last two years. Coyotes and bobcats are minimal. Pigs are frequent but not in high numbers and have appeared to affect the deer population.

43 acres - hardwoods - primary oaks (lots of acorns usually but not this year)
    3 Corn feeders spin cast (year round)
    2 protein gravity feed (year round)
    1 one acre food plot (odd shaped with structure inside the plot)
    2 half acre food plots (" ")
    2 acre pond (spring fed)

3 acres where house is at is mowed but the rest is hardwood with senderos and foodplots. We intentionally created pathways but have done our best to leave the natural appearance to the property. Lots of fawning areas, only myself and occasionally my father hunting. We are very mindful of our impact anytime we are there.

Parts of the place flood but maybe 10-15% of total land in real bad weather.

Place was not hunted before we bought it in late 2014/early 2015.

Any suggestions I'd really appreciate.

no acorns + no ladies = no bucks

Comment

In Jasper its been a slow start to the 2018 season. Be patient the mature bucks will be back.

Comment

How are you coming up with 9 bucks to 1 doe ratio on 43 acres?

Comment

How big is your place? 43 acres?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            How are you coming up with 9 bucks to 1 doe ratio on 43 acres?
            That is a serious buck to doe ratio.

Comment

My place is just north of you. I'm in montalba but the acorns are everywhere. I've been managing my place now for 4 yrs and it seems all my big bucks are disappearing. I know my neighbors have a lot to do with it but not much I can do. They say they don't kill anything but I know better. I've got plenty of food, plenty of water and plenty of cover, it's like this every year at this time. We usually have about 4 shooter bucks around 130 to 140 but they are gone when the neighbors show up. I have not killed a buck on my place yet and I am still wondering where they go. I guess I'm growing them for my neighbors. I'm very picky at what I shoot but I guess if I want to kill off my place I'm going to have to beat them to it.

Comment

Mine have disappeared, im blaming the acorns. Maybe this first freeze coming up will spoil them.

Comment

You can’t have a successful management program on 43 acres unless you and all neighbors are on the same page. You can have a honey hole but I think you are overthinking and expecting too much of small acreage, especially in East Texas. Things are slow in many places as mentioned above due to acorns and rain.good luck

Comment

Are you possibly putting too much pressure on the land and pushing the older deer off?

Comment

Your deer will travel on and off probably 5 or 6 or more tracts around your 43 acres. Maybe more. They could be two places over getting shot or eating or chasing does.

I think on a place that small you just need to feed and habitat inprovement/bedding areas and just hunt. You are not going to keep deer on a low fence place that small. You just need to turn it into a deer magnet and hunt whats there.

I would think 120 to 140" deer may be possible but you neighbors will do what ever they want.

Comment

43 acres is small. deer travel range average is 650 acres (sq mile). your place is about 7% of that. you have to out feed your neighbors. we hunted for 5 years on 40 acres, half of it was open hay field. some days were bleak but we shot deer.
                        good luck, enjoy it it yours. thats what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                          You can’t have a successful management program on 43 acres unless you and all neighbors are on the same page. You can have a honey hole but I think you are overthinking and expecting too much of small acreage, especially in East Texas. Things are slow in many places as mentioned above due to acorns and rain.good luck
                          BINGO!

I’ve got 200 acres in east TX and can’t “manage” it because of neighboring hunters (heck, I’ve 360 acres in OK and have the same problem up there). It sounds like you’re doing all you can do.

Comment

Sounds like you spent alot of time in them woods over the last 3 years. Bucks were probably using that property as a sanctuary and they moved out when you moved in. Try to leave it alone (as much as possible) for a few years and see what happens.

Comment

IMO you have over worked the place. All the work you have done in your mind has made the place better. I think it's also driven the mature deer out of your 43 acres. That's a really small place to have any real management program. I'm not saying don't feed the deer, but all the feeders, blinds, senderos, and hundreds of man hours spent out there has caused the mature deer to seek better shelter away from you.

Comment

Working...
                              X