Water coming down from ceiling under bath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water coming down from ceiling under bath

So... water was coming out of the ceiling below the bathtub this morning where my wife was taking a shower. Trying to think through this. Could be leaking from drain, could be leaking from valve assembly or the line going up to the shower head. Could be a leak in the wall from water running down.

I can check the valve assembly without cutting holes... I guess I would see water running down from the shower head through the same hole. I need to cut a hole in the ceiling under the drain to see that.

And of course people will be here in 8 hours for Christmas Eve so I guess this is a tomorrow project.

What am I missing? I haven’t ever messed with bathtub plumbing.

Had the same thing happen and it ended up being the drain. Hope it's the same as even I could handle that fix!

Comment

Happens when you pee in the shower a lot.

Comment

You can also plug the drain so the shower fills up. No leaks….then you know it’s the drain assembly. If it is still leaking then it’s one of the other two.
        Only other thought that comes to mind is a possible crack in shower pan.

Comment

unscrew the drain cover screen if it has one reveling the crosshair looking metal in the drain.
          put a the handle of a pair of pliers in the cross hairs and turn right until tight. Or unscrew completely and apply plumbers putty then screw tight

Comment

Oh that’s a good thought on the drain thing. I’m hoping it isn’t the shower pan although nothing would surprise me in this house.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIxP5iMhn0k"]How to Repair Shower stall drain leaking through ceiling below - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

If there is an access panel on the back side it may be possible to see the drain from it.

Comment

So should I just pulled the drain valve and seal it first and see if that’s it? Right no I don’t have to redo any Sheetrock so that would be cool.

Comment

What is behind shower valve? Room, closet?

Comment

An ac chase

Comment

Originally posted by famousunknown View Post
                        Had the same thing happen and it ended up being the drain. Hope it's the same as even I could handle that fix!
                        It should be easy to figure out if it is the drain. Just get a five gallon bucket and pour water down the drain, while someone else is down stairs watching for the leak. Then both people have cell phones to communicate.

That will either prove it's the drain or prove it's not the drain, probably the easiest thing to check.

Comment

Originally posted by Wechebuck View Post
                          You can also plug the drain so the shower fills up. No leaks….then you know it’s the drain assembly. If it is still leaking then it’s one of the other two.
                          Only other thought that comes to mind is a possible crack in shower pan.
                          This is how you know if it’s the drain. If it is, flywise has the answer hopefully.

Comment

Shut off water.
                            Call home owners ins.
                            Have them call a plumber and contractor for repair.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                              Shut off water.
                              Call home owners ins.
                              Have them call a plumber and contractor for repair.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                              Home owners insurance agent wont call a plumber for you and wont pay for the repair unless the damage is more than the deductible.
                              I guess you may be referring to a home warranty company

Comment

Working...
                              X